• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Looking for my grandmother

Thanks Ken but I fear we have athe wrong parent.
I've just received today the copy of the marriage certificate of William Edward Dorber and Margaret Hetherington. Married on 2nd February 1918 at St Josephs Catholic Church, Longsight, Manchester. Margaret's father is named as Andrew Hetherington (deceased) a Packer. It would seem that the Henry Hetherinton we thought was her father was a red herring. Is it possible to see if Andrew appears anywhere? Margaret's age is given as 26 which is 3 years younger than we thought and her job is a milliner so I'm wondering if we are even tracking the correct Margaret.
Jacqui

Thanks Ken but I fear we have athe wrong parent.
I've just received today the copy of the marriage certificate of William Edward Dorber and Margaret Hetherington. Married on 2nd February 1918 at St Josephs Catholic Church, Longsight, Manchester. Margaret's father is named as Andrew Hetherington (deceased) a Packer. It would seem that the Henry Hetherinton we thought was her father was a red herring. Is it possible to see if Andrew appears anywhere? Margaret's age is given as 26 which is 3 years younger than we thought and her job is a milliner so I'm wondering if we are even tracking the correct Margaret.
Jacqui
Hi What was the age of William Edward on the cert?
KenM

Hi Ken,
On the marriage certificate of William Edward Dorber to Margaret Hetherington (no middle name stated) William is aged 24 years. The residence for both of them is given as 21 Molyneux St, Longsight, Manchester. I know that is correct as that is my father's grandmother's home, Harriet (Lewis) Dorber. I've just received an enormous amount of family history on the Dorber side of the family from a Dorber (one I've never heard of or met) who has been researching them for years but of course Margaret Hetherington is only mentioned for her marriage to William Edward in 1918. It's Margaret's family I'm trying to trace. Do you suppose she lied about her age on her marriage certificate; the maths don't add up. She died in 1951 aged 62 years and she married in 1918 which is makes her age 29 at the time but she has given her age as 26 on her marriage certificate. "?". Where do I go from here?
Jacqui

Hi Jacquick

If you look at your 1901 census request I think I have found William Dorber in the 1901 census.

If that Margaret Dorber death in 1951 is the right one aged 62 then she would have been born in about 1888 or 1889. I have looked on the 1901 census and there are 3 Margaret Hetherington's in the Liverpool and West Derby area only, none near Manchester who were born 1887-1890. Margaret may have come from further afield though.

The next step is to obtain the marriage cert and see what her fathers name and occupation is, as this will help narrow down finding her birth. Do you know of any siblings Margaret had?

ben
Hi Ben. In your reply on 4th March you ask for info from the marriage cert which I now have. Margaret's father is named as Andrew Hetherington (deceased). Her residence is given as 21 Molyneux St, Longsight, Manchester (my father remembers that as his grandmother's address) and her occupation as a milliner. The date of the marriage is 02/02/1918. I've just bought into a search for both Margaret and Andrew Hetherington from the 1901 census and it just keeps coming back as no matches, yet you have found Margaret. I'm obviosly in need of help from people who know what they're doing.
Jacqui

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Jacqui,

This could be a possibilty for Margaret in 1901

Civil parish Manchester
RD Manchester
Sub RD St. George
1 Bright Street

Margaret Hetherington head widow age 38 occ ------
Andrew son age 16 occ tailors ---- app
Maggie dau age 14 occ cash desk clerk
Herbert son age 13
All born Manchester

Mary Kennedy boarder
Mary Riley visitor

I can't make the maths work on that one Julie. If her son Andrew was Margarets father he would only be 5 when she was born. I looked at that Margaret in case she was the mother of the Margaret I'm looking for but her children are too old in 1901. My Margaret would be 7 in 1901. If, as rumour has it, her family came from Ireland would the census show irish people?
Jacqui

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
This could be the family in 1891 Andrew head of household is from Ireland and occ packer.

Civil parish Manchester
RD Manchester
Sub RD St. George

Andrew Hetherington head age 28 occ packer born Leitrim Ireland
George son age 9 born Manchester
John Wm son age 7 born Manchester
Andrew son age 5 born Manchester
Margaret wife age 25 born Manchester
Herbert son age 3 born Manchester
Patrick brother age 21 occ g/lab born Manchester (his pob is ditto as Manchester)
Plus 2 lodgers.

This looks like the family on the 1901 census

This could be the family in 1891 Andrew head of household is from Ireland and occ packer.

Civil parish Manchester
RD Manchester
Sub RD St. George

Andrew Hetherington head age 28 occ packer born Leitrim Ireland
George son age 9 born Manchester
John Wm son age 7 born Manchester
Andrew son age 5 born Manchester
Margaret wife age 25 born Manchester
Herbert son age 3 born Manchester
Patrick brother age 21 occ g/lab born Manchester (his pob is ditto as Manchester)
Plus 2 lodgers.

This looks like the family on the 1901 census
Thanks Julie. This does look like the right Andrew Hetherington. Right age and his job is as stated on Margaret's marriage cert. If the Margaret shown as his wife is my Margaret's mother, where is Margaret amongst her listed children? If she was only 26 as she gave as her age on her marriage cert she wouldn't have been born until 1892, which would mean that her age on her death cert is wrong. I can't find this family on the 1901 census yet and I haven't been able to access the 1911 census but I'm convinced they still lived in Manchester. Any ideas?
Jacqui

Thanks again Julie. It looks as if the daughter, Maggie, is the Margaret I'm looking for but I'm still confused as to why she doesn't appear with this family on the 1891 census when she would have been 4. Next I suppose is to look for her on the 1911 census.