• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Looking for Newfoundland ancestors

I'm new to the forum and just posted a similar note under the Wanted section. I'm looking for William Rockwood, born around 1750, who knows where. Most Nflders came from Devon and Dorset. Our family does not seem to have followed the normal pattern. I think he could have been from anywhere in the U.K. and a relative of mine thinks he came to Nfld from New Hampshire (US). Both are possible. Any ideas on how I might be able to track it down?

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Susan

A warm welcome to FHUk forums.

When did William Rockwood marry? Do you know roughly when he died? I have looked on the IGI and the nearest William Rockwood baptism to 1750 was one born in 1766 in South Shields, Durham.

Most Rockwoods appear to have come from Norfolk, Suffolk or Durham.

Ben

Thanks, Ben. He was married before 1772, because that's when his son, William, was born in Heart's Content (Newfoundland). His wife's name was Rachael. I don't know where they were married. His two daughters, Elizabeth and Catherine, were baptised in Heart's Content in 1793. I don't know when ( or where) they were born or how old they were when they were baptized. The William born in 1766 in South Shields would have been too young to be the same William. I would go the other way (earlier than 1750). Thanks for your help. It's great to make contact. I'm just finding my way around the UK information. I have not found any Rockwoods in the west of England. It seems probable that my ancestors did not follow the normal pattern.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Susan

I have looked on the IGI and couldnt find a likely marriage other than a submitted entry which says William Rockwood was born about 1746 in Trinity, Newfoundland and married a Rachel in about 1770.

Ben

The Newfoundland Grand Banks site has the information I provided but does not have his birth date, place or marriage date and place.

Ben - Where would I find the reference to William being born in Trinity around 1946? I have been to Trinity to do research and didn't find anything like that, but my time was quite limited when I was there. Do you have a contact for that information?

Hello, it's Justine from Halifax Nova Scotia, doing similar research on your William Rockwood c. 1749-1793 in Heart's Content and wondered if you had any success? The Nfld Grand banks site is an awesome resource but with little info in the 1700s.
For the record, many erroneously believe this William is a son of Nathaniel Rockwood 1700-1780 and Margaret Phipps from Wrethan, Mass. But a well-researched book "The Genealogy of the Descendants of Several Ancient Puritans: By the Names of Adams, Bullard, Holbrook, Rockwood, Sanger, Wood, Grout, Goulding, and Twitchell" Abner Morse Jan 1857, shows this as incorrect. I suspect the Rockwood came directly from the UK and want to know how he got from there to here, the east coast of Canada.