• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Looking for Richard philpot 1700's

Website
www.duncanbourne.co.uk
My first brickwall has been going on some time so here goes.
I have an ancestor BENJAMIN PHILPOT b. 1792 in Pontesbury, Shropshire, who married ANN PLIMMER in 1818. They had 6 children, Charles Philpot 1813, Emma Philpott 1825, John Plimmer Philpott 1827, Benjamin Philpott 1835, Anne Philpot 1835 and William Philpot 1840 - 1841. His parents were RICHARD PHILPOT and CATHERINE and his siblings were William Philpot b. 1795 and Elizabeth Philpot b. 1800.
My brickwall is find out information on his father Richard and mother Catherine.
There is a marriage for a Richard Philpot and Christabella Plimmer in 1788 in Shrewsbury which is tantalizingly close but not quite. The only marriage I have found for a Richard and Catherine was in London to Catherine Gorst in Dec 1792. Which again is close but doesn't quite seem to fit.
Any help gratefully recieved.

duckweed

Loyal Member
Why do you feel the Catherine Gorst doesn't fit? I note both bride and groom were widowed before they married. Is this the Problem? Of course it may be that the surname is so badly written that its not coming up on the browser.

Website
www.duncanbourne.co.uk
Benjamin was born in May 1792 in Pontesbury near Shrewsbury, where as Richard and Catherine were not married until the end of December 1792 in St Andrews, Holborn, London. Richard and Catherine had a further two children in Pontesbury William in 1795 and Elizabeth in 1800. There is a death record for a Richard Philpott in the workhouse of St Andrews, Holborn in 1829 aged 76.
It might be him but then he would have had to have travelled to Pontesbury with Catherine, had Benjamin, travelled back to London, got married then travelled back to Pontesbury only to finally return to London to die in 1829.
It is not impossible but not exactly neat and clear cut.

duckweed

Loyal Member
That would depend on when the son was born. Census records are not exactly accurate. They could have been working in London, married after the death of their respective spouses and gone home to have their families and start a new life. The child could have been on the way when they married, not an uncommon occurrence. If it was the right Richard he would have also had an earlier marriage too.

duckweed

Loyal Member
Sorry misread. Richard was born in Shropshire before the marriage so makes it a little harder. Richard may have been in service and living away from home as may his future wife so the marriage might be somewhere you don't expect, which is why it hasn't come up? He may have been in the army and they got married by the chaplain? Presumably you haven't found a death record for Richard?

Website
www.duncanbourne.co.uk
I don't actually know if Richard was born in Shropshire.
Records from the area are:
marriage: Richard Philpot and Christabella Plimer, Holy Cross, St Giles, Shrewsbury 11 Dec 1788
Children:
Sarah Philpot b. 6 Sep 1789 Pontesbury
William Philpot b. 10 April 1791 Pontesbury

Then we have Benjamin b. 27 May 1792 Pontesbury to Richard and Catherine
(placing him 7 months before the London wedding)
William b. 1 April 1797 Westbury to Richard and Catherina

before moving back to:
John Philpot b. 12 Nov 1797 Westbury to Richard and Christabella

and then :
Elizabeth Philpot b. 11 April 1800 Pontesbury to Richard and Catherine

All these locations lie close to each other.
As there are mixed births attributed to Catherine and Christabella it seems unlikely that Christabella was his first wife. It may be that they are the same person but that is a bit of a long shot, why would she be Christabella on some records and not others?

The nearest date for a Richard born in the area is 1715 at Westbury.

Benjamin was the engineer for the Nags Head colliery if that is any help. Alas there are no rcords I can find for the colliery to see if his father also worked there.
Finally my last long shot is a Richared Philpot b. 20 July 1766 in Chichester. In records for the Bryntalch estate, Montgomeryshire (lying next to Salop and sometimes interchangeable in the records) there are records for the lease of workhouse and buildings on the West side of North st Chichester in 1802. Richard is listed as a merchant in the record. There is a slim possibility that he travelled to the border counties to do business.

duckweed

Loyal Member
I have one relative who was born on the English side of the border and yet on census records sometimes she is welsh and sometimes english. Perhaps there is a welsh marriage or perhaps the clergymans writing is so bad that sometimes Christabella looks like Catherine.