• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Looking for two Marys

emeltee

I have a couple of brickwalls to knock down and I'm hoping someone can help.

First of all I have a Thomas Hill marrying a Mary Smith in Winwick, Cheshire. The entry (which on fmp is typewritten and not the original) states 'both of this parish' which I know doesn't mean that they were born there, just living in the parish at the time of the marriage. In fact Thomas Hill was born in Cuerdley, Lancs in 1757 and Cuerdley is where they set up home and had their children.

What I am looking for is a birth for Mary.

The second Mary is a Mary who married a John Sparks. They also set up home in Cuerdley and had several children, the first I can find being Robert born 1751, followed by George in 1754.

However the only marriage I can find for a John Sparks to a Mary is John Sparks/Mary Heaton, both of Cuerdley. This marriage took place in Rainford Chapel in 1754, three years after Robert was born, so I'm not sure if it is the right one.

I think John was born 1729 in Eccleston, baptised Prescot, the son of John and Elizabeth - no marriage for them, or, apparently, any other children so possibly there is a gap in transcriptions.

I'm after a marriage of John Sparks to a Mary before the birth of Robert in 1751. The baptism entry for him doesn't state base born or illegitimate and implies John and Mary, as parents, are husband and wife.

So, to recap, I'm after the birth of Mary Smith, probably between 1755 and 1760, a marriage for John Sparks to a Mary before 1751 and the birth of the said Mary. If anyone can help sort this lot out I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,

Emeltee