• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Looking for William Johnston

Hi, i am currently looking for my mother in laws dad.Shes never knew him as he left when she was a child.

His name is William Johnston (bill) and we have his DOB as approx 1905 and he was from Halifax. He was in the Military police and was a sergent. We know he was based in oxfordshire in the 50's.And he moved back to Halifax in the late 50's.

we have a photo of him from october 1954 in berlin. On the back of phot is PP 102 FLT. Also have another pic which shows he did a refresher course in Buckeburg.

on the back is says -
no 2 refresher course
2 police wing
Buckeburg
27.3.54 - 10.4.54

Now ive alsop been told he was a memer of an organisation called the water buffalos" which was a bit like the free masons but dont know much about it or even if it exists.

We also know he was a accomplished pianist.

Can anyone help as finding him to mean the world to her and any help would be great..thanks

Ill upload pics soon...

gedcom

My Father in Law was a member of the BUFFS, I am not sure what this was exactly, although I know they did a lot for charity. It might be what they call the 'Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes' - I will ask my husband when he is online (he works abroad).

Gedcom

gedcom

No it is not a name that would spring to mind...:biggrin:

I am only aware of something called the Buffs because of my father in law, he died 24 years ago but I remember him going off to meetings (men only). There was a lot of tradition and it did seem a bit like the Masons. They belonged to Lodges and so on. There was a lot of charity work that they did.

Will have to wait for my husband to see if I am barking up the wrong tree.

Gedcom

Thanks for the link but i managed to find that 1 myself with alot of digging...:biggrin:

I gave them a ring and the were quite helpful..:)

Here is the pic i have of him if it helps.we think hes the one in the middle row, 2nd left..

( No 2 refresher course - no 2 Police wing Buckeburg 27/3/1954 to 10/4/1954 )

( William Johnston berlin October 1954 )

Update

Just been told by a ex-service man whos looked at the photos that he was actualy a Flight Sargeant.

Still trying like hell to trace him, going round in circles now..:mad:

Im much closer to finding him now. We now believe his DOB to be June,1907. He also has 2 sons Brian and Keith.

However, we cant get service no until we have a copy of his death certificate which i cant seem to find.Reg office wont help as we need a approx time of death to conduct a search.

Now what do i do..?