• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Looking for Worlow

Hello
I have been looking for my grandfather's birth registration he was born 1863No luck, I thought being an uncommon name it would be easy !! The only census I can find him on was the 1901 census . Can find no trace of marriage to his wife Kate and no birth certificate for my mother born 1901( possibly she was adopted) and no death for Kate between then and 1942. I know where he is buried and just wondered if local councils help out as regards as inscription on a gravestone (presuming his wife was buried in the same grave )
He died in 1940 and was buried in Leytonstone
I feel my grandmother kate must have died earlier
I really don't know where to go from here and can't travel now so much as am older myself , any suggestion please ?

hi gill welcome to family history the local authoritys will should be able to tell you who is buried in the grave but they wont be ble to tell you about the inscripion if you put all the info you have got already ie your granddads first name me and all the other members will help you out to the best of are abillity mine arnt that good lol but there are great people on here if its out there they will find it for you

alan

hi again gill just let me no if i am right your granddads name is
william worlow born about 1863 bethnal green
kate worlow born about 1862 bethnal green
florence worlow born about 1901 bethnal green
thats on the 1901 census

alan

pejay

Valued Member
welcome Gill to FHUK I am sure you will get lots of help with your queries. It is a friendly forum and we all try to help one another [if we can]
I did not know your grandfather's first name, however the first thing that sprang to mind was - the name could very easily be wrongly transcribed. It could be down as Warlow, Warley,Worlow or Worley. I think there will be certs for your missing grandparents etc: but it can be such hard work though knowing which way a name may be spelled Where is Leytonstone by the way

Last edited:

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Gill,

I think the London Borough of Waltham Forest covers Leytonstone.

Well I've looked and looked for Worlow and as per Pejays posting the name is probaly mistranscribed/corrupted. Found some other sounding names Wharlow, Waler, Waller, Wharley .

Quite possible that they didnt marry or married after Florence was born and Florence has been registered under her mothers maiden name.

Have you your parents marriage certificate, could the witnesses be a clue they could be relatives.

Thank you all for your welcome and comments . To Alan yes that it is the man on the 1901 census . Why I presumed the name was WORLow and not any other was the fact that my grand father could read and write so could have corrected any previous error .

My mother Florence ended up in the Civil Service in the 1920's so I feel she must have had some form of proof of birth as they were pretty strict in those days as regards age etc

Can any one recommend any sites where you can pay for viewing B M and deaths etc or pay when you download - don't want annual subscription etc or maybe this is not allowed on this forum
Yes I do have my parents marriage cert just her father as witness and father's brother so no clues there

Is there any where you can view the voting lists on line . This would be after 1925 I think ?

Thanks again -you all seem a very friendly and helpful lot of people .

hi gill on ancestry.co.uk you get a free 14 day trial for new members ok here goes on there if you search family trees there is a tree on there with william joesph worlow born in 1863 in 272 old ford road bethnal green its a private tree but you can make conection with the owner of the tree and it has another 104 members on the tree so it might be good news for you hope that helps you i will look for william by him self now

alan

pejay

Valued Member
on the 1881 census there is a Wm Worley at 34Tarling St, St George in the east,
London , he is 18 & a cigar maker. Also with him there are
Joshua worley head age 40
Mary E wife age 38
Alice daug 13
John son 9
George son 7
Mary A daug 5
may be worth checking.

Thank you again for your help and suggestions I have been away for a few days so didn't see further replies until now.
I shall do a trial of Ancestor.co.uk (hiding away so I can spend as much time as possible on the site and not answering the door )
Best wishes, Gill