• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Lost in Warwick

Hello Everyone

I was wondering if anyone can help ? I have been searching Ancestry for what seems forever and hope someone can put me out of misery. I cannot find a relative although I have found her family e.g mother, father, siblings on all the census pages up to 1901. I know of her existence and have proof of her belonging the family up to the present date, but cannot find any recording of her in any census after her birth in 1881 as living with her family. I think I have found her in 1901 as a servant aged 20 but cant be sure it is her for sure.

Clara Waters born 1881 (she may have missed this census depending on what month she was born) Her mother was Louisa (Sanders) Waters her Father William Waters (this was his second marriage), the family have connections to a family called Perkins, Clara married a John Perkins abt 1902.

Sorry to ramble ! Any help would be most greatfully received, I will be totally gobsmacked if anyone can find her !!!

Carol

Minden

Found this on familysearch.org:

Clara Waters
Event(s):
Birth:
Christening: 14 NOV 1882 St Mark'S, Coventry, Warwick, England

Death:
Burial:

Parents:
Father: William Waters
Mother: Louisa Waters

She married John Perkins in Aston Q1 1903 (ancestry). There is a Clara listed as a ribbon weaver in the 1901 census, in Coventry, but she's a boarder so no clues about her family. As you indicate, I couldn't find her in 1891 on ancestry either.

I did find this on genes reunited, from the 1891 census:
WATERS CLARA 9 Llangibby, Pontypool
WATERS CLARA 10 Nottingham South-East, Nottingham

Maybe £5 of credits could clear it up for you.

Last edited:
Hi Minden

thanks for the reply, sounds terrible but it makes me feel a whole lot better knowing that its not just me that cant find her, and that I am not going totally mad ! Seems with her birth being November she would have missed the 1881 census, so it took 10 years for her to vanish, or be given away ! If she hadn't have reappeared in her marriage anyone would have thought she must have died. I dont want to re-apply to Genes giving them more money as I have just subscribed again to Ancestry and Irish origins. I have tried altering spellings and looking at other family member who she may have gone to stay with, although the name should still come up on the census search, I have in the past found this not to be the case. Thanks for your efforts and time - I will just carry on plucking at my hair !

Carol

Jackia

Hi Minden

thanks for the reply, sounds terrible but it makes me feel a whole lot better knowing that its not just me that cant find her, and that I am not going totally mad ! Seems with her birth being November she would have missed the 1881 census, so it took 10 years for her to vanish, or be given away ! If she hadn't have reappeared in her marriage anyone would have thought she must have died. I dont want to re-apply to Genes giving them more money as I have just subscribed again to Ancestry and Irish origins. I have tried altering spellings and looking at other family member who she may have gone to stay with, although the name should still come up on the census search, I have in the past found this not to be the case. Thanks for your efforts and time - I will just carry on plucking at my hair !

Carol
Hello I cannot help you with your present query but I am also serching for Harris ancestry, well so I thought untill I discovered my great grandfather was indeed Herbert but called himself Harris.Never the less we could be looking for the same "Harris" family can you let me know where your Harris's are from.

HI Jackia

As far as I have gone back (1833) with a possibility of it being a little further (1795) my Harris family all came from County Cork and County Clare Ireland. I am told that they originated in Gloucester but have not been able to trace them back there yet. Funny, the problem is usually the other way round with people not being able to trace back to Ireland !! My Harris males were mostly Naval men and coastguards serving on many ships being in the Royal Navy in Portsmouth and Devonport.

Carol

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Eliza Waters born 1882 with parents with Louisa and William, could she be Clara as I cannot find Eliza on the 1901 census nor a birth, it maybe that Clara was called Eliza or her name could have been entered incorrectly on the census.