• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Lost London 1870 - 1945

nainmaddie

Loyal Member
This book ( Coffee Table ) is a fantastic collection of photographs from the collection of English Heritage.
I was sent the information by Foyles, and then found that if you went through the Times Bookshop it was cheaper. £26.

It is well worth the money. It covers all areas of London, many of which I remember from my days in the City ,late 1950's. It covers the old tenements and East end of London.to Buckingham Palace and beyond. Old shops, any one remember Swan and Edgar ?

I would thoroughly recommend this book to anyone who has ancestors from London and for those like me who spent many a year working there.

It also covers many churches, including the Hugenouts. I just wish I could send you some to view but I don't think I am allowed to print them.

You can contact the bookshop on 0845 271 2134 or online at
www.timesonline/bookshop.

The only sad thing is that it was printed in Thailand !!

Maddie

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Nainmaddie

I have seen that book in the shops and had a look through it but not bought it. It looks quite good doesn't it?

Ben

Strawman

This book does indeed look very interesting. However, I would just like to point out that it can be purchased through Amazon at £19.27 with free postage and packing. You cannot get more of a bargain than that... Unless someone knows better? :biggrin:

nainmaddie

Loyal Member
Hi Strawman

Why didn't you let us all know before I posted it ! :2fun: :2fun:

I didn't think to look on Amazon, I use it frequently for other books. Stupid Woman !!

I spent another few hours going through it last night, and it is superb, for those history buffs, nosey parkers, family history geeks, and those of us who remember all the bomb sites especially in the City for many years into the 60's. Paternoster Square ( 1st ) was hideous especially in the wet. Dour ! Bombed sites on London Wall, nothing there.

Maddie

Strawman

Hi Maddie,

If only..... I may have many talents, but I don't believe that one of them is the ability to predict postings on this wonderful Family History site..:biggrin: :biggrin: I frequently check the prices of Amazon first for almost everything I'm considering buying. I recently bought a pb on Victorian and Edwardian Hampshire from this site, and I'm glad I did. Anyway, it sounds like you got yerself a really good read, possibly as good as mine is to me. :)