• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

M Giblin, Birmingham

Joel

Hi guys, great forum!

I'm looking up my family history for my dad, and we've hit a snag at his grandad or my great grandad. He was from Birmingham with the surname Giblin, but my dad can't remember his first name, just that he thinks it began with an M. He had three kids; Mariam/Mary, Doris and Tom. Apparently he served in the First World War and i was wondering where he served and what he was up to. We already know that he was some sort of Observer Corpsman or air raid warden during WWII, so it would be very interesting to know what service he was doing in his younger years.

Can anyone help me? It would be very much appreciated.

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Joe,

To start with your fathers parents marriage certificate will have the fathers names and occupation, this will help to trace them on the census and also on the WW1 medal card index and any service record, many where lost in the WW2 bombings.

izabel

Staff member
Thomas Giblin married Rose M Brown in Birmingham 1921. Doris born 1927, Thomas born 1925. Couldnt find a listing for the 3rd child. There were 22 Thomas Giblin's in WW1. Hope it helps

Joel

Oh, thank you very much. The dates for Tom and Doris are definetly correct, so this seems to be the right person.

Thanks for that. I appreciate it.