• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Macklin, Richard WW1 Dead

Inscription on Headstone in Bethune Cemetery in northern France.
"In Memory of Private Richard Macklin, Leinster Regiment 7th Batt. No. 2453, who died age 35 on 12 May 1916. Husband of Ellen Macklin, of Lower Strand St., Dungarvan, Co. Waterford, Ireland. Remembered with honour." Any help with information on Richard Macklin would be appreciated. Not sure if age given is correct.

Thanks Guys. Richard Junior was born in Dungarvan, Co Waterford 6 months after his father died in the war, i.e. Oct 19th 1916. Mother's maiden name was Ellen Power, aged 5 at the time of the 1901 census, daughter of Thomas and Mary, who lived in Boreenatra, Dungarvan. Richard Senior's father was soldier James. I am stumped: mother may have married again. Any further help, on either, would be appreciated.

Ben

Hello noelieboy here are some details I hope you find useful
I found details in CWGC but Cant find him in SDGW

best reguards
Braveheart
Thats strange, as i could not find him on SDGW either?
But funny i did find a Richard Magill with the same regiment and service number. Died the same day to but this man was listed as born Ashton under lyne and enlisted Belfast?

If you don't all ready have your Richard Macklin's medal card you can get a copy for £2 Not sure how much in € it is from this site.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=4028655&queryType=1&resultcount=5

Ben, thank you VERY much; all that fits. Richard's English father and soldier, James, had died and his mother had moved back to her native Belfast. Richard had enlisted at age 14/15 and been discharged 'services no longer required' after a year. Perhaps he used a similar name to remain incognito. Would it be possible to get Richard Magill's Service Record?

Ben

Hi Noel, my subscripions to both the two main family history sites have expired and will not be renewing them this year.
Do you know where in England your Richard Macklin was born and when?
I found a Richard Edward Macklin born Sept 1/4 1891 in Hartshead Tameside ( Ashton under-lyne ) There is also a Richard Macklin army service records on Find my past. He was born 1891 and in the Manchester regiment. Records are for up to 1913. Do you know the age of his father James when he died or DOB?
I am still working on the two men been the same one( Macklin & Magill )
If i come up with more, i will post it for you.

With HUGE help from another amateur genealogist encountered on these forums I have a copy of James Macklin's service record. He was born in Lambeth in 1856 and gave his age as 17 when he enlisted in the 63rd regiment in 1870,at Westminster. In 1891, the year Richard was born, James lived in Ashton Under Lyne. He was in the army for 27 years, and later was a solicitor's clerk in Manchester. His wife Annie Hamilton, presumably on James' death, moved back to Belfast with her three children; so I presume James was in his mid/late 40s when he died, but this may be conjecture. At the age of fifteen Richard joined the Manchester Regiment in Belfast, but was discharged 13 months later. So, as you can see I have info on the Macklins up to that period. Thanks again from Noel.

Will do re Belfast forum. In the 1911 census widow Mary Anne Macklin is in Great George's St, Belfast, with son Richard Edward, labourer aged 19, and daughter Mary 17, both born in England. I think there may have been another son, John, in residential military school in Dublin.

Ben

I think there was another child.
Thomas Macklin

Macklin Thomas June 1/4 1890 Hartshead Tameside Ashton 8d 554
Died the same year: June 1/4 1890
Macklin Thomas Age 0 Ashton 8d 430