• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Magnifying Glass

Anyone want to recommend where, in the UK, I can get a decent high power magnifying glass? My eyes need such now for looking at faded certificates.
Locally there are just feeble ones on offer and EBay did not look that good.

ptjw7

Loyal Member
Cannot help with the magnifying glass but what I do is scan them all in on the computer and then change the contrast so I can read them, also helps to have a record of the certs to hand whilst on the computer.

Peter

Last edited:
Thanks for both suggestions.
I did try Google but found nothing of interest, only expensive magnifying glasses the same power as £1 ones.

I have tried with the computer but seem to loose clarity. Well worth trying again with a different program perhaps?

My Cannon printer scans well, but the well meaning relative who sent me a copy of the 1911 census entry seemed to have a problem as the copy I have looks like that. :2fun:

But I also find other certificates where a decent magnifying glass would help.

emeltee

Loyal Member
I don't think the best magnifying glass in the world would help you read that scanned document. All it will do is magnify the blurred words. it's the copy which is at fault, not your eyes.

Emeltee

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
If you can either scan or download a document, and if you have some sort of photo suite program on your device, the document can be easier to read if viewed in a different colour. eg. Red, Blue, yellow, sepia filters.
Any Windows photo suite, like Windows Live Gallery, will do.

I had a Will that was very hard to read, but once 'manipulated' in a photo suite, and filtered with blue, it was also possible read it and to magnify it on screen.

Steve.:)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DaveHam9 1861 Census Request 12
ptjw7 FHUK General Chat Room 4
DaveHam9 Certificates 12
emeltee FHUK General Chat Room 26
DaveHam9 Documents 2
G FHUK Funny Forum 1