• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Mahon Family

Hi,

Can anyone with access to the 1911 Censuses see if they can find anything for the following family for me please.

John Mahon 42
Mary Mahon 38
Margaret Mahon 18
Thomas Mahon 17
Patrick Mahon 15
William Mahon 14
Mary Ann Mahon 12
Eliza Mahon 10

The above ages would be their approximate ages in 1911. Thomas Mahon is my great grandfather. I am particulary interested in Thomas/John/Mary so I can continue this branch of my tree.

Thomas's occupation on his marriage cert in 1914 was "Mill Labourer". He was 19 and lived in "Eldon Street" Liverpool.
John (father) occupation on Johns marriage cert was "Farm labourer"

The 1901 census suggests they where all born in Ireland. They lived in "Kearney Place" in Liverpool.

I have attatched the below 1901 census for your reference.

Thanks in Advance

Hiya, i'm looking for my g grandmother's family. I know very little about her other than her name was Margaret Mahon, she married Joseph Fitzsimmons and they had a number of children. Her husband Joseph lived on Eldon St so when I saw your post it rang a bell. Hope there's a connection

Thanks Kate.

The names of the children have been removed as they may still be living.

Julie

Last edited by a moderator:

stockpot

Valued Member
There is a marriage for Margaret Mahon & Joseph Fitzsimmons in Liverpool in 1920. They seem to have had 6 children from 1922 to 1936 but the name of the first one is repeated for one born 1933 so presumably the 1922 child died.

It looks like this couple and their 5 children are at 7b Boundary St Liverpool in 1939. The entries for 4 of the children are closed meaning they were still alive in 1991 but that for John born Aug 1933 is open so he will have died prior to 1991.

In 1939 Joseph Fitzsimmons is a Gen Labourer d.o.b. 1 Jan 1893. Margaret Fitzsimmons has d.o.b 3 May 1900 so she can't be the one on the 1901 census above.

Hope this helps
Elaine

stockpot

Valued Member
That seems to be the family you are after, Joseph Fitzsimmons b 1893 was on Eldon St in 1901 with his parents John H & Mary, both born Manchester.

I can't find Margaret Mahon in the English census for 1901 or 1911. There are one or two possible in the Irish census which is freely available on-line but without more information it would not be possible to identify her.

Elaine

Thanks for the info, just wondering how you found that the family are living in boundary st in 1939?

My grandad John was born Aug 1933 but he died in 2005, so it certainly sounds right because my Dad said they lived on boundary st but the rule about the files of people alive after 1991 being closed has thrown me considering the date my grandad died.

Have you heard of parents naming a child with the same name as a deceased child before? I find this slightly odd
thanks
Kate

stockpot

Valued Member
In 1939 a register was compiled of all the people in the UK in preparation for war. The address, name, date of birth and occupation of each person was recorded, that's all. Until 1991 it was manually updated, so if a woman married her new name was added and also it was noted when anyone died.

This register was published on line in 2015. As it was considered that anyone born after 1914 could still be alive they were "closed" i.e. the entry couldn't be seen, unless it was known that they were dead. As for your dad being alive till 2005, I have seen many people on the register whose details should be closed so I wouldn't worry about that.

If the names Joseph, Mary, Anthony, John and Margaret mean anything to you then it is your dad's family.

Elaine

Thanks again, you've been really helpful. It's definitely our family as the names all tally. I'm intrigued as to why Mary's family wasn't on the 1901 or 1911 census, I'm sure they were from liverpool. My Dad was under the impression that her maiden name was Mann but her daughter told me it was mahon. Another g grandmother's family was also missing from the 1901 census but I found them on the 1911 one.

Kate

stockpot

Valued Member
Margaret Fitzsimmons of 7b Boundary Rd was buried at Yew Tree cemetery Liverpool 19 0ct 1961, aged 61. This age is correct for the birthdate of 3 May 1900 given in 1939.

I have made a thorough search and all I can find is a Margaret Mahon with a birth date 2 May 1898. This doesn't seem to be yours as I can't think why she would make herself two years younger in later life but this is the only one I can find. I will give you the details just in case anything rings a bell.

John Mahon of Gordon St and Hannah Regan of Opic St married at St Anthonys 1893, witnesses Theresa & Jane(?) Regan of Opic St

They had children:-
Catherine 3 June 1895
Margaret 2 May 1898
Agnes 28 Mar 1900

1n 1901 they were at Buckingham St Everton
Agnes died 1904 and John died around the same time

Hannah Mahon married her second husband Henry Smith 1906
they had children:-
Henry Smith 1907
John Frederick Smith 1909

In 1911 the family were living at 8 Gordon St with Catherine and Margaret Mahon as step daughters to Henry Smith.

As I say I don't see how this can be her but let me know if anything seems familiar.

Elaine

thanks Elaine, I'm sure that's not her in Opic St. Joseph outlived her and moved to Kirkby and the names of the children don't ring any bells. I've ordered Margaret and Joseph's wedding certificate so hopefully it'll give me a clue as to what I should be looking out for.

Thanks Kate

Hi,

The wedding cert has arrived and now i think Margaret could have lived at opic st. Wedding cert states:
23/5/1920
Margaret Mahon age 21 (therefore birth yr 1899 but is it possible that she made herself a year old so she can marry?) Address 24 conway st, kirkdale. Father John Mahon (deceased) builder's labourer.

Wedding took place at St Anthony's, one of the witnesses was Catherine Mahon.

Having reread your earlier post i was confused and disregarded the opic st family because John Mahon had died in 1904 which i was confusing with my g grandad Joseph Fitzsimmons who i think may have died in the 60s.

I've been trying to locate Opic St but can't find it.

Kate

Attachments

stockpot

Valued Member
John Mahon is given as plasterer in 1901 so reasonable to be a builder's labourer at his daughter's marriage.

I think the same father's name and Catherine as a witness is good. Also the church is the one that the Margaret I found was baptised at and where her parents married. I will look round to see whether I can find any further proof .

Elaine

stockpot

Valued Member
This is possibly a help :-
I looked at 24 Conway St in 1939, there were three women and two closed records.

Marion Smith 12.3.06 married, unpaid domestic duties
Elizabeth Dwyer 16.7.02 single, waitress
Irene Thompson(Lyon) 27.9.22, biscuit machine hand

Smith was the name of the second husband of Hannah Mahon, the mother of "my" Margaret and Margaret had two half brothers, Henry Smith 1907 and John Frederick Smith 1909.

Marion is a fairly unusual name. There was a marriage between a Henry Smith and Marion Dwyer 1933 West Derby. This suggests Elizabeth Dwyer is Marion's sister and Marion's absent husband is a Henry Smith probably born around 1906 if he is a similar age to his wife. So he could well be the Henry Smith who was Margaret's half brother and Conway street, where Margaret got married from, has been the family home since at least 1920.

Will keep looking!
Elaine

Last edited:

stockpot

Valued Member
Do you have an old map of Liverpool? It seems that Gordon Street Everton where "my" Margaret Mahon lived in 1911 is very close to Conway St Everton where your Margaret got married from in 1920.

Elaine

I've got one. Opie Rd is just a few streets down as well. Is your Margaret Mahon the one who was 18 in the 1911 census?
My Dad was born in Wilbraham house in 1959 which was on the corner of Scotland Rd and i think Penrhyn st so just the other side of Great Homer St. My Nan and Grandad were married in St Anthony's in the 1950s and my Dad was christened there too.

Kate

stockpot

Valued Member
No, the Margaret I am looking at is 12 in 1911, i.e. correct to be 21 at her marriage in 1920.

8 Gordon St
Henry Smith, Head, Married, Corporation Labourer Pavior, 41, Liverpool
Hannah Smith, Wife, Married, 45, Liverpool
Henry Smith, Son, 4, Liverpool
John F Smith, Son, 1, Liverpool
Catharine Mahon, Stepdaughter, Domestic Servant General, 15 Liverpool
Margaret Mahon, Stepdaughter, School, 12, Liverpool

Hannah says married 5yrs, 2 children born, 2 still alive (of this marriage)
The indexes show Hannah Mahon married Henry Smith Liverpool Q3 1906.

My theory is that the above family moved to 24 Conway Street where Margaret married from in 1920. The Smith family remained there and Margaret's step brother Henry Smith married Marion Dwyer in 1933 and they remained at that house. By 1939 the parents Henry & Hannah Smith had died/moved on and 24 Conway St was occupied by Henry & Marion Smith, her sister Elizabeth Dwyer and what I now find is her step sister Irene Thompson, plus 2 children who are closed entries in the register.

In1901 she was at 83 Buckingham street with her first husband John Mahon & children Catherine, Margaret and another daughter Agnes who died 1904. John was 52, about 17 years older than Hannah and had been a widower when they married at St Anthony's in 1893.

I think this looks good to be your Margaret especially as you are sure she was from Liverpool and didn't just arrive from Ireland after 1911.

Elaine

stockpot

Valued Member
To make matters more complicated I now find Marion & Elizabeth Dwyer's mother's maiden name was Regan. The mother of Margaret Mahon and Henry Smith was Hannah Regan before her first marriage.

"Regan" may be a coincidence or maybe Henry Smith married a cousin (not that it matters for you looking for direct ancestors!)

Elaine