• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Major event at Bishops House

duckweed

Loyal Member
Well this is the weekend, the archaeologist are coming, the posters and ads are out, and I am dressing up as Katherine Blythe. We are looking for the lost buildings of Bishops House estate and the old road lower in the park that was moved. Will we find anything? Who knows.

The weather looks fine so all we need is the people. More important than what we find out is the number of people who come and join in. We have had the Museums budget cut by 50% . We have to prove that we can get the numbers to events that the reason numbers had dropped was because there was no advertising, no effort made.

I've put up on display boards the history of the Blythes and the house. History that people haven't read before. I hope they will find it interesting. I am so nervous. Wish us luck.

leefer

Loyal Member
Hope it is a succesfull day.
It is through the hard work of people like yourself that our great buildings,traditions and our past history is kept alive.

Good luck with the day.

duckweed

Loyal Member
Well first day over, cold and cloudy today but still over 120 people. Should be more tomorrow if the clock change doesn't get to them. Weather forecast is warmer tomorrow plus another event in the park running alongside. One child drew a picture of me in my costume. I must get a copy of that.

Last edited:

gibbo

Loyal Member
Great photo DW. Taken in Bishop's house? Is the floor like slate type stone?
Was the dress uncomfortable to wear?

Sorry lots of questions i knowredf)

duckweed

Loyal Member
Well event over and figures over 300 rough count. For a place that was getting 40 visitors a weekend before we intervened not bad especially as it was our first event. There was a real buzz.

Got lots of offers to assist run some other events, and someone who is drawing up a tudor map of the area. Next event likely to be a medieval event with medieval cooking and sword fights. Someone wants to run embroidery classes and another has offered jewellry making classes.

The dress is one I made out of curtain fabric. It's quite warm so I was glad of the cooler weather. It's not difficult to wear except the petticoat has got a hoop in it so have to go slightly sideways with the narrower doorways. I remember my dressmaking classes at school enough to adjust the length and let out the waist a bit so it isn't really tight laced like a victorian gown.

The floor is made of very heavy stone slabs, probably quarried locally (within half a mile of the house). The roof has similar stone cut into more tile like sizes but still very thick and heavy.