• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Margaret COX nee McMILLAN

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Presbyterian Marriages solemnized in the Parish of Melbourne in the County of Bourke in the Year 1840
No. 30
I, ...
I, Margaret McMillan do hereby declare that I am a Member or hold Communion with the Presbyterian Church of Scotland [her x mark]
I, The Rev James Forbes of Melbourne, Minister of the Church of England, do hereby certify that Francis James Cox, of Melbourne, Bachelor, and Margaret McMillan, of the same place, Spinster, were joined together in Wedlock by me on the Twenty first day of January 1840 at Melbourne, in the presence of John Henderson, Robert Omond?, Jean Welsh, Archibald McMillan, all of Melbourne.
Francis signed. [signed] James Forbes

Death 1877 COX Margaret 53 - McMILLAN John - Margaret (b. Scotland) #3352

The Telegraph, St Kilda, Prahran and South Yarra Guardian (Vic. : 1866 - 1888 ) - Saturday 10 March 1877 p.2
DEATHS
COX.-On the 1st inst., at Toorak, Margaret Cox, aged 53.

One tree has this which does not agree if age at death is correct:

Margaret McMILLAN 1819-1877
Born: Clachbreck, Argyll, Scotland
Died: Jackson St, Toorak, Vic.

Arrival ???

I wonder if Archibald is a brother. Can his death be found in Victoria?

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
A tree has this:

Francis James COX 1817-1854
Born: St Andrew Holborn Middlesex
Died: Warrnambool, Victoria

Death 1854 COX Francis James 35 - James - UNKNOWN Francis (b. London) #4591

Have arrival for Francis.

Francis James Cox
Christening Date: 9 Feb 1818 St Andrew Holborn, London, England
Birth Date: 7 Dec 1817
James Cox & Frances Sophia

Don't know his mother's maiden name.

Bootzy

Loyal Member
The Telegraph, St Kilda - Sat 10 March 1877
COX - On the 1st instant at Toorak, Margaret Cox aged 53

re your previous post: I wonder if Archibald is a brother. Can his death be found in Victoria
Margaret did have a brother Archibald - Tree has died Dec 1866 Canobie Station Qld but I cant find anything on Qld BMD.

Frances James Cox parents - James Cox married Frances Sophia MONEY on 27 April 1817 St Mary Islington
regards
Val

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Val,

Thanks for the marriage. One more gap filled.

Re Archibald, I was hoping to get his death first to confirm he was a brother before I went searching.

I have several who died in Queensland including some with death notices but no reg in the index.

Dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
I can only find this one:

Qld. Death March 1866/B3110 MacMillan Archibald - John MacMillan - ** aged 11 years

Interesting the marriage is also on the Victorian fiche:

1840 COX Francis James - McMILLAN Margaret - EVR Ref JL #482

Not sure what EVR Ref means.

Last edited:

Bootzy

Loyal Member
Francis James Cox death 1854 age 35 Victoria reg no: 4591 - parents James & Frances (name on Death is Franels James Cox) - buried Warrnambool Cemetery.

Margaret remarried after Francis's death on 7 March 1856 Warrnambool to William Augustus Cox b 10 April 1831 London - died 1896 Boort Vic on a Tree...parents John William Cox & Sarah Amelia Bosbury
regards
Val

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Francis James Cox death 1854 age 35 Victoria reg no: 4591 - parents James & Frances (name on Death is Franels James Cox)
Hello Val,

Thanks for the info re Margaret's 2nd marriage.

I go to the SLNSW about 4 times a month, usually to look at shipping reels. I noticed yesterday on the fiche it had the name as Francis James so I'm puzzled by the 'Franels' bit.

Dave

Last edited:

mil

Hi,

Archibalds' year of death is estimated to be 1867 (Qld), year of birth 1815, place of birth believed to be Tarbert, Scotland.
This information is from "The John MacMillan Story" by Marjorie Grant.

Thanks
Mil

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
The only McMILLAN death in Qld. index 1863 - 1871 is this one:

1864/C0497 Duncan McMillan O'Neil McMillan Matilda - ** born Scotland aged 41 years

Searching 1850 - 1880 for MACMILLAN returns the 11 year-old.

I can't see a death notice in TROVE 1860 - 1879 for Archibald.

Searching for any Archibald finds nothing earlier than this one:

Rockhampton Bulletin (Qld. : 1871 - 1878 ) - Wednesday 29 April 1874 p.2
MAGISTERIAL INQUIRY.
Archibald McMillan proved that he is a labourer, working on the Government Wharf, and at 10 o'clock yesterday morning saw something floating up the river, and which looked ...

Last edited:

mil

"The John MacMillan Story" by Marjorie Grant includes the content of the letter written by Archibald's sister Flora McDonald to her sister Ann. The letter is dated Feb, 7th 1869, and indicates that Archibald went to Carpentaria in August 1966 where he contracted the "gulf fever". On the way back to Victoria (Dec 1966), he stopped by Mr Campbell's station (Sorghum Downs, now part of Canobie) and then by "Mr Palmers station" where he heard that there was a Highlander shepherding in the area, that he thought he knew. He left his mare and foal to rest and walked to see him and that was the last time he was seen. The letter goes on further to say that a man that was travelling between the stations came across remains of a white male and reported it to Mr Campbell (15th Feb 1867) who wrote to the family and promised to look for Archibald again. The family did not hear from Mr Campbell after that, probably because he died in 1867, according to:
Title: Early Days in North Queensland
Author: The Late Edward Palmer(http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks09/0901071.txt, page 133.)

Mil