• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Margaret Jean Cranston born 20 Jan 1932, London.

Hi guys, I think pigs may fly before we find this birth but worth a try.
Margaret Jean Cranston said to have been born 20 Jan 1932 in London according to her immigration, death and travel records to the USA. She had several marriages, the first to Dennis A Rix in 1948, Kings Lynn, Norfolk which seems to have come to an untidy end as at some time she tok up with a guy named Bills but I can't find a marriage. They had a child in 1955 with mmn Cranston but before the child was born this happened......

NOTICE is hereby given that by a Deed Poll dated the 28th day of January, 1955, and duly enrolled in the Supreme Court of Judicature on the 1st day of February, 1955, MARGARET BiLLS of 3, Queen Mary Road, Gaywood, King's Lynn, in the county of Norfolk, Feme Sole, a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies by birth, renouncedand abandoned the surname of Rix.

The next episode she marry's again under the name Bills.
Marriages Dec 1955
BILLS Margaret BURCHFIELD King's L. 4b 1147
BURCHFIELD Billy R BILLS King's L. 4b 1147

Billy Ray Burchfield was in the US army, they had several children and eventually moved to the USA. At some time that marriage broke up and Margaret married yet again.

Name: Margaret Cranston. Female Residence State: California

Spouse: Francis G Scheller. Spouse Residence State: California

Marriage Date: 6 Mar 1977. Marriage City: Reno.

Officiant Type: Religious celebrant.

Recorded Date: 31 Mar 1977.

Margaret died in 1986.

Name: Margaret Jean Scheller. [Margaret Jean Cranston]

Birth Date: 20 Jan 1932

Birth Place: Other Country

Death Date: 26 Nov 1986

Death Place: San Francisco

Mother's Maiden Name: Cranston

Father's Surname: Cranston

We are awaiting the marriage cert. to Dennis A Rix but I am not holding much hope as to her parents, she does'nt seem to appear on the 1939 any where. So basically we are looking for her birth.
Thanks.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Looking at Cranston births in London/Middx a few years either side of 1932 you get about 7 mmn including this one

Births Sep 1934
Cranston Jean P - Cranston - Barnet 3a 901

This birth not London and wrong initial.

Births Jun 1932
Cranston Margaret E - Cairns - Wokingham 2c 658

Not finding her in 1939 Register is a blow.

Done all those Dave and more and drawn a blank. Apparent ly the whole family moved to Kings Lynn at some time but we don't know when and there don't seem to be any electoral registers online for that period.

horse

Loyal Member
Not sure if this helps, keith.. With Dau Dorraine and confirms DoB and has an address in Kings Lynn..

UK and Ireland, Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960:
Margaret Burchfield
Port of Departure: New York, New York, United States
Arrival Date: 24 Nov 1958
Port of Arrival: Southampton, England
Ports of Voyage: New York
Ship Name: Nieuw Amsterdam
Shipping Line: Escombe, McGrath and Company Ltd
Official Number: 6516/20

Partial copy of page for ID, see attachment.

Geoff

Attachments

horse

Loyal Member
This looks like the arrival in the US.. Not seen one for Margaret yet?

New Jersey, Passenger and Crew Lists, 1956-1964:
Doraine R Bills
Nationality: British
Birth Date: 8 Apr 1955
Birth Place: Kingslynn, ENG
Arrival Date: 16 Jul 1958
Port of Arrival: Newark, New Jersey, USA
Airline: MATS

Geoff

horse

Loyal Member
Not seen one for Margaret yet?
This looks like Margaret's arrival..

New Jersey, Passenger and Crew Lists, 1956-1964:
Margaret Burchfield
Nationality: British
Birth Place: London Eng
Arrival Date: 30 Jun 1962
Port of Arrival: Newark, New Jersey, USA
Airline: Ona

See attachment, partial copy of page..

Geoff

EDIT: Oh! That one is a later date?

Attachments

Thanks Geoff I'm affraid we have already got all that info and other trips accross the pond with their son's. Dorraine is still alive and living in Kings Lynn. The birth date may be right as it's to constant in all records but we suspect the family name and place of birth maybe different. We'll have to wait for the marriage cert. and hope that it may shed some light.

Margaret Jean Cranston said to have been born 20 Jan 1932 in London according to her immigration, death and travel records to the USA. She had several marriages, the first to Dennis A Rix in 1948, Kings Lynn, Norfolk which seems to have come to an untidy end as at some time she tok up with a guy named Bills but I can't find a marriage. They had a child in 1955 with mmn Cranston but before the child was born this happened......

NOTICE is hereby given that by a Deed Poll dated the 28th day of January, 1955, and duly enrolled in the Supreme Court of Judicature on the 1st day of February, 1955, MARGARET BiLLS of 3, Queen Mary Road, Gaywood, King's Lynn, in the county of Norfolk, Feme Sole, a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies by birth, renouncedand abandoned the surname of Rix.

Marriages Dec 1955

Billy Ray Burchfield was in the US army, they had several children and eventually moved to the USA. At some time that marriage broke up and Margaret married yet again.

Margaret died in 1986.

We are awaiting the marriage cert. to Dennis A Rix but I am not holding much hope as to her parents, she does'nt seem to appear on the 1939 any where. So basically we are looking for her birth.
Thanks.

Marriages Dec 1955

Margaret died in 1986.

Thanks.

Marriages Dec 1955

Margaret died in 1986.

Thanks.
hi solidrock2, I believe that the Margaret Cranston you are searching for was born as Margaret Smith. She was adopted and was renamed Margaret Cranston. Her UK birth records her as Margaret Smith, Qtr1 born in Stepney, mmn Smith. Her mother was also Margaret Smith. Hope this is the one you are looking for.

hi solidrock2, I believe that the Margaret Cranston you are searching for was born as Margaret Smith. She was adopted and was renamed Margaret Cranston. Her UK birth records her as Margaret Smith, Qtr1 born in Stepney, mmn Smith. Her mother was also Margaret Smith. Hope this is the one you are looking for.