• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

mariage martha stockton

lighty

marriage martha stockton

How do you find a marriage i looked on free bmd and ancestry found a marriage for Martha Stockton 1887 (Stockton)but there is only her on the page :mad: any help?.
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

sterico

Loyal Member
Hi Lighty,
I did a search on free B.M.D and I see what you mean, I punched up the original page that it was transcribed from, and Martha is the only name on it, I found out that the only name they put down was the one that registered the marriage, this was common up to 1912, after that BOTH names were entered. Free B.M.D says the only way to find out the spouses name is to send for a copy of the marriage certificate,so I would say if you are sure it is the right Martha you will have to send for a copy of the cert. Hope this is of use to you, best regards StericoO0

prefabkid

How do you find a marriage i looked on free bmd and ancestry found a marriage for Martha Stockton 1887 (Stockton)but there is only her on the page :mad: any help?.
Thanks.
Encountered the same problem just an hour ago.Looking for the marriage of Henry Foster m.1886 to find the name of his spouse,only to find Henry was the only name on the page!
Looking on the 1891 Census his wife was given as Matilda J. Foster.At least it gives me a name to confirm I have the right Marriage Certificate which have no option but to order!
Happy hunting