• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Marriage Certificate query

Hi - My first post on the forum, look forward to hearing from folk that know a lot more than me!

I wondered if anybody might be able to make some sense of the marriage certificate below

Ralph Prest is my great great grandfather and this certificate is for his marriage to Ellen Patchet in 1845.

Ralph's parents were Joseph Taylor and Elizabeth Prest. Elizabeth was only very young when she had Ralph and the pair were not married at the time, although subsequently did marry. That explains why Ralph's father has a different surname.

Ellen's parents were John Patchet & Eleanor Patchet (names taken from her baptism records).

So I'm confused as to who William Branson might be. I've not been able to trace John & Eleanor, but have been able to to trace William through the censuses and he was married to a 'Margaret'. So it isn't that Eleanor Patchet re-married to William.

So what might be some of the possible reasons for William Branson being listed Ellen's father??

Any help or ideas most gratefully appreciated!!

Richard Prest