• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Marriage certificate

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
I'd like some help with the street names and the Minister's name and the first names of the witnesses:

1 Stanney ? street Greenock

Drunnpackers ? road Greenock = Drumfrochar :D

? ? Cull...? Minister

Arch ? Barbour - possibly her brother if that is Arch. - Archibald b. 13 Dec 1832
Witness
Jane Malcolm - sister of the groom
J? Barbour - possibly her father John if that is a J.
Witness

Thanks.

Last edited:

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hi Dave,

Sorry im not real good at this sort of thing and i cant make out anything on it:confused: Hopefully someone else might be able to for you.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks. It does get larger if you click on the image. ;)

It's not as important to the progress of my tree as the previous one with the nephew who can't be found.

Hi Dave
On the fourteenth day of November 1856 at Drumfochar Rd Greenock, marriage after banns was solemized between us according to the established
Church of Scotland
signed Archibald Malcolm 22 - 1 Stanners St, Greenock - Iron shipbuilder - Batchelor - father Alexander Malcolm, weaver. Ann Malcolm maiden name Cochan (Dec'd)

signed Jane Barbour 24 - Drumfochar Rd Greenock, Spinster - father John Barbour Labourer, -Elizabeth Barbour maiden name Shearer (Dec'd)

Arch'd Barbour Witness - Jane Malcolm /Barbour Witness

john hislop registra. I would have thought the minister would have been the same for both marriages, but I have doubts.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/street/R...OCK_in_RENFREWSHIRE_in_PA16_337289_786963.htm If you centralise Cartsdyke on the map then go to max zoom. Look for main st (A8), there's a roundabout with Cartsburn St going down the page. There is a crescent Stanners L. I wonder if this is your road.
hope its been a bit of help

dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello dave,

Thank you very much.

I've made no progress with the Minister's name not that is matters that much.

The other name is Cochran. I have several in my tree.

Arch'd would be a brother who was a few years younger.

I looks like initial J in front of the other witness so possibly her father John.

You can get an idea why I'm trying to eliminate several Elizabeth SHEARERs. I have four that crop up in my tree. :rolleyes:

Regards,

Dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello dave,

It does say West Parish (which is Old)? I ask because IGI has this:

Archibald MALCOLM & Jane BARBOUR
14 Nov 1856 Middle or New Parish, Greenock, Renfrew

Regards,

Dave