• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Marriage,Divorce, Bigamy

I have hit a brick wall with this little gem.........

George Stewart b Scotland about 1845 married Elizabeth Hannah Haydon Jul 1873 (I am awaiting this marriage cert) at South Shields.
They had a son William.

The family appears on the 1881 living 153 Commerical Road, Jarrow. George occupation is Mariner.

Elizabeth then appears to marry again in 1885 to a Henry Bright, I am also waiting for a copy of this certificate. On the marriage registration she appears to reverted back to her maiden name of Haydon.

I was wondering if anyone could advise me where I could look for a divorce between George and Elizabeth. I have been told that George could possibly have been a son of the Stewarts of Edinburgh who at the time were a reasonably well off family therefore the cost of a divorce may not have been a problem, or was it simply a case of George dying (which others don't think happened till 1901) or was Elizabeth a bigamist.........

In 1891 Henry and Elizabeth 33 Bristol have sister Margaret Haydon 15 S. Shelds living with them as well as William 17
In 1881 Margaret is with mother Eliza 44 Bristol and siblings Harriet 17 Bristol and Robert 16 S. Shields
In 1881 Elizabeth 23 Bristol is with her 1st husband George and William 8 in S. Shields, so it is the same Elizabeth.

dave

In 1891 Henry and Elizabeth 33 Bristol have sister Margaret Haydon 15 S. Shelds living with them as well as William 17
In 1881 Margaret is with mother Eliza 44 Bristol and siblings Harriet 17 Bristol and Robert 16 S. Shields
In 1881 Elizabeth 23 Bristol is with her 1st husband George and William 8 in S. Shields, so it is the same Elizabeth.

dave
Thank you for all your help. I agree with everything and I am beginning to think Elizabeth may have been a bigamist. Her first marriage to George took place at St Mary's Tyne Dock and her second to Henry Bright at Sunderland. I am still waiting to receive this certificate which may make interesting reading.