• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Married the same woman twice, why?

jon attwood

One of my ancestors was married twice to the same woman, Once in April 1898 when she was aged 19, and again in November 1900 when she was 21, I have certificates for both marriages and everything seems to be in order on both of them.

I am wondering why they were married twice, and have come up with a couple of scenarios, firstly the couple may have married without their parents consent the first time, and waited 'til they were of full age to get married again, and the second scenario is that the groom needed his commanding officers permission to marry (he was in the army at the time, and the dates suggest that he may have got married just before and soon after service in Africa), which he did not have the first time round.

In either scenario the first marriage might have been annulled, so where would I find information on annulled marriages?
and can any of you put foward another scenario as to how or why this odd situation may have occurred?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this has become something of a family mystery!

thanks
Jon

Last edited:

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
One of my ancestors was married twice to the same woman, Once in April 1898 when he was aged 19, and again in November 1900 when he was 21, I have certificates for both marriages and everything seems to be in order on both of them.

I am wondering why they were married twice, and have come up with a couple of scenarios, firstly the couple may have married without their parents consent the first time, and waited 'til they were of full age to get married again, and the second scenario is that the groom needed his commanding officers permission to marry (he was in the army at the time, and the dates suggest that he may have got married just before and soon after service in Africa), which he did not have the first time round.

In either scenario the first marriage might have been annulled, so where would I find information on annulled marriages?
and can any of you put foward another scenario as to how or why this odd situation may have occurred?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this has become something of a family mystery!

thanks
Jon
Hi Jon,
I gather they were married both times in England. ?

Steve.:)

jon attwood

yes steve, both marriages were in England, in fact both marriages were at the same registry office (Medway) and were even conducted by the same registrar.
On the first certificate one of the witnesses was a relative of the Bride, and on the second certificate one of the witnesses gives his title as C.O., so I am assuming that he was the groom's commanding officer (unless I am misreading the writing as being title and initials, in which case the witness in question rejoiced in the first name of ****!).
On the first certificate both bride and groom are listed at the same address in Brompton, and the grooms occupation is given as musician, on the second certificate the grooms address is given as Brompton barracks and his occupation as musician R.E., which I presume stands for royal engineers.

Jon

Last edited:

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
yes steve, both marriages were in England, in fact both marriages were at the same registry office (Medway) and were even conducted by the same registrar.
On the first crtificate one of the witnesses was a relative of the Bride, and on the second certificate one of the witnesses gives his title as C.O., so I am assuming that he was the groom's commanding officer (unless I am misreading the writing as being title and initials, in which case the witness in question rejoiced in the first name of ****!).
On the first certificate both bride and groom are listed at the same address in Brompton, and the grooms occupation is given as musician, on the second certificate the grooms address is given as Brompton barracks and his occupation as musician R.E., which I presume stands for royal engineers.

Jon
I reckon you are right with your theory Jon, as for annulments, I have no clue.:confused:
But without a doubt, someone here does.

Steve.:)

patrickw

Hello Jon,
It would be very unusual then, or even today, for a commanding officer to attend the wedding of an enlisted man, it might be more reasonable, if as you suggest, his military service made his first marrage 'ilegal' for his O>C. that is the officer commanding his Squadron to attend, which may partially explain the **** reference. Could it be Chatham-Officer Commanding K sqn or something similar. This prob doesnt help, but I just cant see a full Colonel attending a civil ceremony and acting as a witness , where by a lesser officer may have been ordered to attend to see that things were conducted as per regulations. Just a thought, what do you think.
Good luck with your research on this, best wishes
Pat

jon attwood

thanks Patrick, that theory re C.O.C.K sounds very plausible, I will have to do some more research into his millitary record to see if he was indeed in K sqn or something with a similar initial.
the other witness for the second marriage had the same surname as the suspected officer, so was presumably his wife? that made me wonder if the officer may have been a friend of my ancestor rather than attending in an official capacity, would an officer acting on orders to attend have brought his wife along?

Jon

Minden

Not being funny, but are there any births around the time of the second wedding? Something to prompt a respectable commanding officer to make sure that no 'shame' falls on the regiment?

You know what these Victorians were like....

patrickw

Hi again,
I think all of the points raised on this thread have some validity, but on your thoughts about the officer being your relations friend, I still have reservations on the social aspect of this. I think it extremly unlikely that an enlisted man would be friends with anyone of the officer class, and wonder if a search of other military marrages in this area, might throw up any simalarities that could help clear this up. Its just a thought, but if this same officer attended/witnessed a number of marrages about this time, it would point to it clearly being a duty.
Pat