• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Married twice

Can anyone explain how these two people married twice within 6 months? A suggestion is that as he was a soldier serving abroad, someone may have stood in for him, then they married again when he got home. Personally I can't see that.
The only difference is the church, although both parishes within Leeds city boundary.

Attachments

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Dave,

Something like this has appeared before but I cant remember the answer.
What brings to mind is that perhaps the first marriage was void because he needed permission from army/commanding officer to marry.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Permission from commanding officer is one possible reason I can think of but also since he is a widower did he marry the first time within any 3 month period after the death of his first spouse?

I have a remarriage where the burial date of the first spouse is listed to 'prove' the marriage was just 1 day after the required 3 month period.

Permission from commanding officer is one possible reason I can think of but also since he is a widower did he marry the first time within any 3 month period after the death of his first spouse?

I have a remarriage where the burial date of the first spouse is listed to 'prove' the marriage was just 1 day after the required 3 month period.
Is this 3 month period in the UK, as I can't find any reference to this requirement.

I think that perhaps something did not meet the requirements, ie one of them didn't reside in the parish or more so he didn't have permission from his C.O.

I have just noticed that the first marriage was by banns and the 2nd by licence.
Reading up about a general licence, one instance when it is needed is when one or more of the persons are from or living abroad. William was a soldier, born in Calcutta (although a British subject) and was possibly still serving abroad as I can't see the family in 1881. He had a son Edward in 1880, and he already had Fred probably with his first wife. I can't find these children in 1881, so perhaps they were abroad too. He was recorded as a retired soldier in 1891 Anyway I reckon its something to do with this. I still don't understand why the 1st wedding took place, and if it was found to be void at a later date why the reason is not recorded on the first certificate

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello dave,

I'll try to find that marriage. I don't think it was CofE but probably Wesleyan Methodist.

I don't know if this 3 month wait is government or church specific or just a parish thing.

Dave

My parents married twice!
Marriages Dec 1947
Gilhooley Bernard Jones Liverpool N. 10d 321
Gilhooley Bernard Jones Liverpool N. 10d 415
My mother (Doris Jones) told me my father's Roman Catholic parents arranged a RC wedding and her parents arranged a C of E wedding. My parents just turned up for both rather than face rejection from their family.
I hope this helps!

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Married twice on the same day. Don't know which was first.

The bride was RC and the name of the church was crossed out when she married in the Presbyterian church:

Presbyterian Campbellfield (VIC)
I, Donald Mackellar do hereby declare that I am a Member of, or hold Communion with, the Presbyterian Church of Scotland [signed] -
I, - [crossed out ]- [signed] Jane Macdonald (her x mark)
I, Thomas Mowbray A.M., Minister of Presbyterian Church, Campbellfield, do hereby certify that, Donald MacKellar of Merri Creek and Jane Macdonald, of same place, were joined together in Wedlock by me on the 26th day of June 1843, at Campbellfield, in the presence of -
Witnesses signed: John Mackellar, Alese ? Gainger ? [signed] T Mowbray

The groom didn't sign a declaration this time:

Roman Catholic Melbourne, St Francis (VIC)
I, do hereby declare that I am a Member of, or hold Communion with, the ... Church [signed] -
I, Jane McDonald do hereby declare that I am a Member of, or hold Communion with, the Roman Catholic Church [signed] - Jane (her x mark) McDonald - Witness [signed] Dan Mackay
I, Daniel Mackay, of Melbourne, Minister of St. Francis Church, do hereby certify that, Donald McKellar of Merri Creek and Jane Macdonald, of Merri Creek, were joined together in Wedlock by me on the Twentysixth day of June 1843, at Melbourne, in the presence of Archibald McDonald and Alexander Cameron of Merri Creek. Witnesses signed. [signed] Dan Mackay

jay

Valued Member
Could it be because the bride was a RC and marriage in a Presbyterian Church may not have been valid in the view of the RC's? Therefore two ceremonies were necessary.

Jay

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
I'm not sure Jay.

I have other RCs not married in RC church (Presbyterian and Wesleyan) but buried in RC cemetery. It may have just been a personal preference.

Dave