• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Marsh family, Davington, Faversham, Kent, circa 1620's

Jesse C Marsh

From
United States
I am searching for information about my ancestor, Samuel Marsh, born 1622 in the parish of Davington, who immigrated with two of his siblings, Jonathan and Hannah, in 1640 to first Boston and, in 1641, further onto New Haven, Connecticut.
He has been erroneously connected to the Braintree, Essex branch of John Marsh and Grace Baldwin, who also had a son Samuel who lived around the same time as the person on topic. However this Samuel of John and Grace died in England.
I have found in parish Christening records, "England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975", database, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JSQ4-KT5 : 5 February 2023), in the Parish of Davington, Kent,
the christening of Hannah, daughter of John Marsh, on 26 may, 1631;
the christening of (my) Samuell (sic), daughter of John Marsh, on 18 August, 1622;
and the christening of Jonathan (John), son of John Marsh, on 23 January, 1624.
Would anyone have any information to help me with this research?

Saml MarshBaptism Age 0Event Type BaptismBirth Date 1623Baptism Date 20 Nov 1623Baptism Place Deal, KentRelation SonFather John Marsh
marsh.jpg
Hannah MarshBaptism Age 0Event Type BaptismBirth Date 1631Baptism Date 29 May 1631Baptism Place Deal, KentRelation DaughterFather John Marsh
h marsh.jpg

Can't find Jonathan's baptism at the moment but some tree's on Anc. have him 1624 • Davington Parish in Faversham, Kent, England. Parents John Marsh, 1584 • Davington Parish, Kent and Debora Dicson 1588 • Davington Parish, Kent. They also have other children of John...
William MarshGender MaleBaptism Date 4 May 1628Baptism Place Parish Church of Davington, Kent, EnglandFather John Marsh
Mary MarshBaptism Age 0Event Type BaptismBirth Date 1615Baptism Date 17 Dec 1615Baptism Place Deal, KentRelation DaughterFather John Marsh
John MarshGender MaleBaptism Date 23 Jan 1624Baptism Place Parish Church of Davington, Kent, EnglandFather John Marsh

Just to add some have the Essex conection.

Thank you! I have seen in the records that John and Deborah had two children named John. The first son was born in 1613 however died in 1615. Their second son was named John, born in 1624. However in the New Haven records, he is listed consistently as Jonathan. Although John and Jonathan are cognate (Hebrew: Yochanan/middle English: Jon or Johan) I do not find a contradiction in the two variants of the names from the Parish records and the New Haven records.
In some records it is stated that some of the children were christened in Deal, Kent and in others in Davington. Deborah was recorded as being from Deal while John from Davington but where they married or when they settled is yet seen.

Where are these photos from? When were these written down?
The birth date on in the Parish records give the christening date as 18 August 1622, however I see in the photo that it is in the year 1621.

Back