• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Mary Allen. 1871. Aylesbury.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Well folks, this lady is my Great Aunt, and had vanished from sight until she turns up in 1891 in Monks Risborough, Bucks. She married William Orchard in 1893. (I think I've mentioned that before).

Anyway, I couldn't work out why she had vanished for 10 years, but I'm sure I've worked it out.

In the 1881 census, there is a Mary Cummings, c1872. Monks Risborough, Bucks, living with John & Mary Cummings.
Mary Cummings.b1838(nee.Mary Allen) is the sister to my 2xGreat Granny, Elizabeth Allen. She's the one that loads of illigitimate children.:rolleyes:

No birth, baptism or death for a Mary Cummings. So I think the Cummings family 'adopted' Mary Allen for a while and used the Cummings name for her.

So Mary Allen (Cummings) was hiding in plain sight all this time.

Oh, it was also John & Mary Cummings that had their niece, Ruth Allen baptised(my Great Granny).

Very supportive family the Cummings, while my 2xGreat Granny was off producing more little 'uns.:eek::2fun:

Anyway, it's open to speculation, but I'm convinced.:rolleyes:

Steve.:)