• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Mary Ann Ellis

horse

From
England
Hi

Looking for Mary Ann's birth/bap. and parents.

The censuses from 1851 and her possible death have her born 1820-1823 Yarmouth.

She married George Gotts in 1850, the family moved to Hull between 1851-1861 [Another dau., Sarah L Gotts b. abt 1858 not confirmed as Hull, yet].

This looks like Mary Ann's death:
Deaths Q4 1876
Gotts Mary Ann
Age 56
Hull
9d 144

Or

Gotts Mary Ann
Age 57
Hull
9d 144

Many thanks
Geoff

did she marry George in Norfolk? And do you know her father's name and occupation.
I have found a non conformist Mary Ann Ellis born 1819 in Hull but that doesn't work if you are sure she was born Yarmouth.

Barbara

Hi Barbara

She was b. Great Yarmouth and married in Norfolk, moved to to Hull as post #1 & 2.

I know nothing of her parents.

Geoff

In the Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts on Familysearch there is a Mary Ann Ellis baptised October 1819 in Gt Yarmouth, parents William and Sarah. Could this be your Mary Ann?

Emeltee

Thanks Em'

There are a few possibles that would be close, but that would certainly fit with age at death.

I've not found her in 1841 yet, so very little to go on :rolleyes:

Geoff

Oh!

This looks promising...

George Gotts
Father's name: George Gotts
Spouse: Mary Ann Ellis
Spouse's Father William Ellis
Marriage Date: 6 May 1850
Marriage Place: Yarmouth, Norfolk, England

Geoff

Can't see her in 1841 with parents, but this looks a possible..

Civil Parish: Great Yarmouth
County: Norfolk
RD: Great Yarmouth
Sub-RD: Yarmouth Southern
ED: 7; HO107; Piece: 794; Book: 3; Folio: 23; Page: 39

Maryann Ellis 20 [BiC. Occ looks like 'silk weaver']

Geoff

FreeReg has the 1819 birth for Mary Ann giving father William, occupation shipwright, and mother Sarah. It also has her marriage to George Gotts giving her father as William Ellis, shipwright.

There are also three births to William and Sarah which give the occupation as shipwright - Eleanor 1814, Mary Ann 1819 and Susannah 1825. There is another birth to William and Sarah of William 1817 but father's occupation is given as Lieutenant RN so not sure if it is the same William and Sarah although there is a marriage in 1844 for a William Ellis, father William, a shipwright.

I can find two possible marriages for William and Sarah. The first is 16/7/1809 to a Sarah Roe witnessed by Samuel Cooke and Mary Ellis. The second one is a year after Eleanor's birth, 26/9/1815 to a Sarah Clarke witnesses Hannah Clarke, William Lone and Elizabeth B Page.

Sarah would appear to have died in 1835 aged 50 which gives a birth year of around 1785. William remarries to an Ann but I can't find the marriage. He is in the 1841 and 1851 Censuses. Haven't checked the 1861 Census but there is a death for a William Ellis in 1865 giving an age of 78 which gives a birth year of 1787 which fits with the age he gives on the Census.

Hope you kept up with all that!

Emeltee

Hope you kept up with all that!

Emeltee

hahaha... many thanks, Em'

Loads there to keep me busy for a while.

I think this thread is an example of how we can get bogged down in our own research and forget the obvious, fancy me not checking FreeREG :(

Geoff

A case of not seeing the wood for the trees! Don't forget you can also browse the Norfolk Parish Registers on Familysearch. Should keep you quiet for days!

Emeltee

A case of not seeing the wood for the trees! Don't forget you can also browse the Norfolk Parish Registers on Familysearch. Should keep you quiet for days!

Emeltee

Thanks for the sentiment, I am currently favouring 'bogged down' - Husband, George next :eek:

Hopefully, with more records now online, may have more luck this time round :rolleyes:

Geoff

To save you some time FreeReg has the following

George Gotts baptised 1821 East Ruston parents George and Hannah. George was a labourer. They also had the following children
Mary Ann 1817
James 1818
Henry 1819
Hannah 1824
Elizabeth 1826

George Gotts married Hannah Sexton 2/1/1816 in Great Yarmouth witnesses Thomas Sexton and Ann Carter.

I haven't gone any further as I'm sure you would like me to leave you something to do!

Emeltee

Thanks, Em'

I had found that bap. in 1821 as per Mary Ann's thread, what threw me a bit was George saying he was b. in Great Yarmouth in the 1871 census, in 1851 he states East Ruston :rolleyes:

Many thanks also for the offspring and the marriage..

Geoff

Back