• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Mary CLARK/CLEARK

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
From
Australia
29/09/1791 CLEARK MARY DANIEL CLEARK/SARAH NIKOL FR1046 (FR1046) F 559/ 30 159 Abbey
*Image* Page 159 of 503
Septr. 1791
Mary Da S To to Daniel Cleark & Sarah Nikol born 25 bapd. 29 Sepr. Cleark

What are the words/letters after the given name ?

Da = daughter
Sn = Son

What follows those? S To ??

Does it look like Clark or Cleark? That one and two other siblings transcribed as Cleark but later ones as Clark. I don't have all the images.

Also, the parishes in the Extracted IGI batch records for the children don't all match what is on SP.

Thanks,

Dave

crop1CLARK [CLEARK] Mary 1791-Bap.jpgcrop2CLARK [CLEARK] Mary 1791-Bap.jpg

The surname looks like Cleark to me. The 'S To' could also be be 'L To' or 'S To' or 'L To' but for the life of me I can't work out what it means. It's the same whether the child is male or female.

Emeltee

Thanks Emeltee,

I have no idea either.

Eldest three Cleark and baptised at Abbey Paisley. The next three Clark and Paisley Low, Paisley Middle then Paisley Low again.

Dave

Wonder if it is something to do with lawful son or daughter. You do often see that or natural if the parents were not married.

Barbara

That sounds very feasible - legitimate rather than base born. It would be interesting to see what is written for an illegitimate child.

Emeltee

Thanks.

Must be 'L To' as some look more like an 'L' than an 'S' on the whole page. No 'B B' or alternative on that page.

18/01/1785 CLEARK DANIEL - SARAH NIKOL/FR1582 (FR1582) 559/ 40 341 Abbey

Dave

Back