• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Mary Crompton 1917 -

NewMexican

Help please! I'm trying to find Mary Crompton, the daughter of Harold Crompton (b 1887) and May Almyeria Milward (b1887). Mary was born abt 1917 probably in Leeds, has a brother Arnold b 1914, and the family emigrated to USA in 1923 - I have her in the US 1930 census but cannot find any other record of her in the USA or UK.

I'm thinking that her "real" name might not have been Mary - any help greatly appreciated.

Janice

emeltee

Loyal Member
Hi,
The only Crompton birth with mother's maiden name Milward which comes up on FreeBMD is for Arnold Crompton Mar 1915 Leeds 9b 702.
There are no other Crompton/Milward births in the country.
Emeltee

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi New Mexican,

Looking at the border crossing from Canada to USA, Mary isnt listed with the family, whether she was a baby when they went to the US and her name wasnt recorded or she could possibly have been born in the US.

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Something isnt right as Mary has been recorded as son on the US 1930 census, may be that Arnolds pob had been recorded by mistake.

Will have another look.

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
In 1952 both Arnold and May are on the border Crossings from Canada. Their address is recorded as 530 Crofton Ave, Oakland, Calif. Arnold is listed as single and May married. Still no luck with Mary have you access to the 1930 census as I'm not to sure if the name is Mary.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Would this fit anywhere Janice.

Mary Millard.
Mothers name- Millward.
j/a/s 1918

Ecclesall, Yorkshire.

Vol.9c
Page 722

Outside the box, but.......

Steve.:)

May Crompton
Year of Registration: 1913
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
Mother's Maiden Name: Crompton
District: Prescot
County: Lancashire
Volume: 8b
Page: 1565

Still outside the box.........!!

Steve.:)

NewMexican

Hi all! The Crompton/Bedford lot certainly pose a few conundrums...

This is what I know as fact. Harold, May and Arnold arrived in the USA via Canada in 1923. The 1930 census has them in Cleveland, Arnold being 15 and Mary 13 - which means if she was born in the family it must have been in the UK. Harold and May lived in Cleveland at least until 1939, Arnold was ordained as a minister in Pennsylvania that year. All this is supported by letters and published documents, but no mention of Mary.

Maybe she was adopted in the US......

Janice

NewMexican

Forgot to mention - I think the 1952 border crossing was a trip home to UK by Arnold and his mum May. At that time they were living in Oakland CA, as Arnold moved to another church there. FYI he died in Oakland.

Janice

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Janice,

I've not had any luck with finding Mary? have also been looking under Harry/Harold still no luck there. Theres a registration card for Harold snr WII have you this info? His address is given as 814 Cherie, Erie PA though his workplace is Cleveland. Also there is this Harold R Crompton
birth year 1923, state of residence Pennsylvania, county or city Mercer
enlistment city Erie, just wondering if he may be anything to do with your Cromptons.