• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Mary Jane BENNETT

Hi,

One of my great grandmothers was Mary Jane BENNETT, born 6th August 1878 in Hunsdon, Hertfordshire. Her mother was Hannah BENNETT. On the birth
certificate, there is no father or father's occupation listed, and I assume Mary Jane was illegitimate. Is there anyway to find out who her father was.
Two years after Mary Jane's birth her mother Hannah married a Charles Burton in Widford, Hertfordshire. They went on to have seven children together. Could Charles Burton be Mary Jane's father, or, as they did not marry straightaway, is the father likely to be someone else.
Any thought or suggestions as to where to go for help, would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Ellie7

Loyal Member
Sheriff Court paternity decrees
Single mothers often took the fathers of their children to court for child support. Such cases were known as filiation and aliment cases. The court could order the father to provide maintenance payments to the mother. If the mother won her case, the court would issue a decree, which would allow the mother to enforce payment of aliment.
That is in Scotland but England will have something the same

http://www.genguide.co.uk/source/Bastardy-Bonds-amp-Documents-Parish-amp-Poor-Law/140/

Last edited:
Ellie7,

Many thanks for your replies.

I do not know if Hannah BENNETT claimed poor relief or not.

I will look into that.

Kind regards,

Dave