• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Mary Russell

Ladybird1300

Loyal Member
Staff member
Well I finally solved one brick wall now I have another one. Mary Russell was born in Whitechapel c1795 she married Henry Farmer in 1815 at St Leonard Shoreditch, I've looked at all the baptisms but can't be sure which one is her. I have all their information after their marriage except I never found them in the 1861 census that may also be useful.

FYI: Just recently I put a thread on here about Chalfont St Peter where Henry's ancestor Christopher Farmer was living in the 17th century. Christopher married a Martha Russell in London in 1689. I have a suspicion Mary was related to Martha somehow, but to go to Chalfont St Peter from Whitechapel isn't easy especially as there is a hundred years between Martha and Mary. :rolleyes:
Don't know if it's helpful but Martha's twin was also Mary and they were b c1666. Mary married a Mr Bigg but they didn't have any children and their older brother John died young with no issue.

Many thanks

Ladybird1300

Loyal Member
Staff member
An update for Mary, a DNA test for my mother shows Mary's parents were John Russell and Elizabeth Hulse. John and Elizabeth married 1780 St Mary's Whitechapel. The DNA test including mine also shows John was the son of John Russell a Cooper and soap maker and Martha Sheppard.

John and Martha were married 1731 St Benet's Paul's Wharf London. Other children include George b1735, London, John b1737 Islington d1747, James b1741 Surrey, Jesse b1743 Surrey, Thomas b1746 Surrey and John b1747 Finsbury. There may be another son Henry b1732, but I haven't found him.
Both George and Jesse followed their father into the soap making business and made a fortune, but I haven't found much information on the other sons.

I was reading that George apprenticed as a Goldsmith before his venture into soap. There is an apprenticeship for a John, father John also a Goldsmith so I was wondering if that was for youngest son John.

John and Martha were from Epsom Surrey originally, it's mentioned on their marriage but I can't find any baptisms in the area so I'm not sure they are online.

Many thanks
Amanda

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DaveHam9 Travel and Migration 22
DaveHam9 Births 17
DaveHam9 Births 5
DaveHam9 1861 Census Request 9
DaveHam9 Australia & New Zealand Genealogy Roots 30
Ladybird1300 Births 3