• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Master Builder 1905

Fuffie

Hi, I hope someone can help... This might appear a little dim but I was wondering if anyone could give me some information on what a Master Builder in 1905 would have acutally done.

My GG Grandfather was a sucessful publican in Hampshire and East London. He was running the White Hart pub in Whitechapel in 1901, however he was recorded as a Master Builder on his death certificate in 1905 - strange the sudden change in occupation - just wondered if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks for your help

Nina ???

sterico

Loyal Member
Hiya,:)
A master builder in the early years was todays equivilent of an instructor, the master builders were responsible for the general builders on the site and also the standard of the actual building being built.
In some cases he was also instrumental in the actual design of the building as well. I only know this because my wifes father was a master builder.
Hope this helps :)
sterico

duckweed

Loyal Member
My great grandfather was a master builder and was responsible for several public buildings in the Wigan area. As I understand it the Master is the boss over all the occupations, carpenters, bricklayers, plumbers etc. He usually runs a building firm but also subcontracts for big jobs. He has to be able to read the architects plans and keep in touch with the architect and client. There's still plenty of Master Builders around now.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DaveHam9 Marriages 8
DaveHam9 Travel and Migration 23
DaveHam9 1851 Census Request 4
DaveHam9 1861 Census Request 6
DaveHam9 1861 Census Request 6
DaveHam9 1851 Census Request 6