• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Matthew Bradford. When was you baptised? Still looking.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

I have mentioned Matthew Bradford my 5xgreat grandfather who lived in Southchurch, Essex from at least 1798 onwards.

When he wed the two witnesses was Peter Gray and William Smith. Peter was a regular witness. Susannah Watty was born 1780 as she died in 1836 aged 56. They had 3 children Matthew 1801, Thomas 1805 and Isaac 1812.

Matthew died in 1849 aged 85 and said he was not born in Essex on the 1841 census aged 75 (Age probably rounded down). His age given may or may not have been exact.

I did mention a Matthew Bradford born in Westley Waterless in 1765 son of Thomas and Sarah Bradford. But a Matthew Bradford died 1841 in Waltham Holy Cross aged 76 so born c1765. He left a will which mentions a brother William. The Westley Waterless one had a brother William born 1773.

3 other possibles:

Matthew Bradford born Great Bradley, Suffolk baptised June 1762 son of John and Ann Bradford. Had a younger brother Simon and older sisters Mary and Ann.

Matthew Bradford born 1767 Hinxton, Cambs son of John and Ruth Bradford. He had a sister Edy who wed locally and a brother Stephen who wed in 1777 and stayed locally. A Richard was born in 1774 to John and Ruth Bradford.

Matthew Bradford born 1770 Little Thurlow, Suffolk son of Thomas and Anne Bradford. He had a brother William Bradford, Patrick Bradford and John Bradford.

One of these three may be mine.

Ben