• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

McClure, Albert Edward

I have documented what I know and traced my family back to a Albert Edward McClure, who appears in the various census in Woodbridge Suffolk and finally in the 1871 census as a Drummer in the 1st battalion Grenadier Guards, in the Victoria Barracks, Windsor. His date of birth would be about 1852.

However I can find no record of his birth and the various sites I have tried, and there does not appear to a military record for him either.

On his marriage record his father is given as William McClure, Soldier.

I have found a William McClure b 1809 Manchester - is this his father? or have I gone completely wrong???

leefer

Loyal Member
Strange one that Ray,if i was guessing then he may have been born abroad,especially if his dad was a soldier....or off course with that sirname Ireland.
Cannot find nothing on him....strange one and i hope someone on the forum will help you.

leefer

Loyal Member
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,507664.0.html

Hi Ray...did notice when i searched for your Mclure a lot of them seemed to be in Ontario Canada:confused:
This link seems to suggest that in the early 1800's the grenadier guards were formed/based in Canada......maybe Albert and his dad was born there?....a long shot i know :confused:

Edit just noticed Gortonboy on the link!...oh well good luck anyway and perhaps Gorton can help.

Last edited:
In the various census records Albert Edward McClure says he was born in London some times but in the 1891 census it says N. K. which I assume means not known.

In 1871 he is listed as a drummer in the Grenadier Guards my understanding is that to become so his farther was also probably a Guards Man.

I was advised to check Overseas births thsi I did but I drew a blank.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

I have found his army record which gives a little more. He enlisted in the army as aboy aged 91/2 years old in Oct 1861 and was discharge in July 1872 on medical grounds. His place of birth is given as St Margarets Parish, Westminister. The information points to his birth in May 1852.

However I still can not find a birth or baptism record anywhere. He is not listed as an Army Birth.

Can any give me any pointers?

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Grasping at straws again.:confused:

Possible births.

Edward McCue
Jul-Aug-Sep 1851
Reg district - St Luke
Middlesex
Vol - 2
P - 342