• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

McGee Family

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and was wondering if I could ask for some help.

I'm from Ireland and I am working on my family tree at the moment. My great-grandparents married in Donegal in Ireland in 1909 and then moved to Scotland. They do not appear in the 1911 Irish Census so I imagine they moved within that two year window. I have been told that they moved to Clydebank in Glasgow and that is where they are both buried.

Daniel McGee, born 23/04/1889 in Oldtown, Falcarragh, Donegal. Known as Donal.

Ann McGee (nee McKelvey), born 23/11/1888 in Glenamohill, Glenties, Donegal. Known as Annie.

I have been told that Ann died in childbirth. Daniel died two years after her around the age of 38 so this would put Ann's year of death somewhere around 1925 and then for Daniel 1927. I have been unable to find any death records for either of them.

They had six children whilst in Scotland, presumably all between 1909-1925. I have also been unable to find birth records for them. After the death of their parents, they then moved back to Falcarragh in Donegal to live with their aunts and uncles.

James McGee

John McGee

Danny McGee

Mary McGee,
born 13/11/1920 - my grandmother

Norah McGee,
born around 1924/1925

Dinny McGee

I would really appreciate any help or pointers into finding death records for Daniel and Ann, birth records for their children or maybe even a census record for 1911. I have been using Scotland's People to no avail. I feel like I'm missing something or doing something silly.

I hope I can help you out some day if you ever need a hand with a long lost Irish relative!

Welcome to the group.
So far not finding much apart from the marriage.

Party 1 Name DANIEL MCGEEParty 2 Name ANNIE MCKELVEYDate of Event 11 May 1909Group Registration ID 2075856SR District/Reg Area Strabane.

First thing I notice is that they married in Strabane. County Tyrone not Donegal.

Hi SolidRock,

Yes that's his birth. I have that and Ann's birth record as well, and also their marriage record. No real issue with the Irish documentation, Scotland has been the challenge.

I should mention that I had been using Scotlands People as normal before the site went down for maintenence yesterday.

Thanks!

Hi SolidRock,

Yes that's his birth. I have that and Ann's birth record as well, and also their marriage record. No real issue with the Irish documentation, Scotland has been the challenge.

I should mention that I had been using Scotlands People as normal before the site went down for maintenence yesterday.

Thanks!
I"ve searched all the major sites except Scotlands People and none of thee names are showing up not even a positive military record for Daniel. Where did you get the children"s names from ?

Hi SolidRock,

Thank you very much. The children mostly lived until the end of the last century. Dinny only died in 2017 so this was verbal confirmation from him.

I wonder did they not engage with civil records etc. However there really should be a death record somewhere if they are buried in Scotland.

Hi SolidRock,

Thank you very much. The children mostly lived until the end of the last century. Dinny only died in 2017 so this was verbal confirmation from him.

I wonder did they not engage with civil records etc. However there really should be a death record somewhere if they are buried in Scotland.
Is Dinny a nickname.

Other possibilities could be Mc Gee, Magee, Macgee or maybe McKee but I doubt that one.

Their names could also be recorded in Irish which would open up a rabbit hole of variations. The most common spelling would be Mac Aodha, with others being hAodha, O hAodha or Mac Aoidh.

Daniel and Ann both spoke English though as well as Irish and their names appeared in English in the Irish documentation, so it makes me feel like their names should be in English for Scotland.

I am really keen to find their grave in Clydebank as I feel like that would be the most helpful next step. One of my aunts in England knows where the grave is and has been before. I'm waiting for her to get back to me.

Can anyone make out what his occupation was? I think I can make out sewing machine but I'm unsure what the line below it says.

Also, does his address look like 38 John Knox Street/Road/Something else? I see there is a John Knox Street in Clydebank on Google Maps.

Ok I've now found birth records for all of the children with varying surnames (McGee, McGhee).

The last piece of the puzzle is Annie.

I was told she died in childbirth and the last child, Denis (Dinny), was born in 1926 according to Scotland's People. I don't have the specific date yet as I need to order the certificate.

I also know she died before Daniel in 1929. Daniel's son, James, was also the informant for his death so this strengthens that argument.

I can't see anyone that fits her description within that three year window of 1926-1929. She would have been between 37-41.

They lived in John Knox Street in Old Kilpatrick, Clydebank.

Can anyone offer an idea as to what I should do next?