• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

McKinnon

Wonder if anybody can help me through this brick wall? My mother's father was John McKinnon b. 29/06/1895 in Glasgow, d. 1966, m. Flora McKinnon Birdwisa 12/01/1922. John had a sister Charlotte, his parents were Archibald McKinnon & Margaret McKinnon ms Campbell m. 15/01/1895.
This is where my problems start. I have found possible ?parents for Archibald i.e. Dugald & Euphemia McKinnon ms Beaton, but when looking at possible marriage & death certs for Archibald it gives fathers name as John. Can anyone point me in the right direction? The people I've found (if correct?) lived in Greenock then Glasgow. I have been using ScotlandsPeople for my reseach. The oral family tradition is that this part of the family came from the Isle of Coll. Thanks for any help.

Hi Bearger,

Have a try here:- http://www.collgenealogy.com/

You could be lucky, as Island communities are very close knit.

Steve.:)
Steve, thanks for the reply but I've been on the Coll site before. My problem is that I can't find the ancestors of Archibald to get a lead back to Coll. I think it was his father or grandfather who came from Coll.

Just need to keep looking. I'm new to this, it does get adictive.
Thanks again.

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi,

I had a look on the transcription of the 1901 Scottish census, found a John McKinnon born abt 1895 Glasgow living at 347 Gairbraid Street, Mayhill with grandparents John and Ann McKinnon the pob for John and Ann is transcribed as Mall Argllyshire, as this is the transcription and I cannot view the census image to check whether is should be Coll.

Hi,

I had a look on the transcription of the 1901 Scottish census, found a John McKinnon born abt 1895 Glasgow living at 347 Gairbraid Street, Mayhill with grandparents John and Ann McKinnon the pob for John and Ann is transcribed as Mall Argllyshire, as this is the transcription and I cannot view the census image to check whether is should be Coll.

Not them, I think. I have Archibald, Margaret, John(6) & Charlotte in Plantation, Govan, Glasgow on the 1901 census. It gives Archibald & Margaret pob as Greenock, Renfrewshire. Thanks for the help.

It could be that "MALL" is "MULL".

Hi - you say that Archibald married Margaret Campbell Jan 1895. Archie's and Margaret's parents will be shown on the marriage certificate.

I would guess that Archibald WAS descended from Mull as his son John's wife certainly was. Flora's mother Ann McKinnon was born 1855 Kilfinichen & Kilvickeon, Mull to parents Hector/Margaret Brown.

I'm currently writing up this family for my website. As i'm not sure I can enter a URL here, just look up MullFamilies (register a username and use immediately).

Once registered, you can contact me directly

I was given a gedcom today.
Archibald McKinnon married Margaret Stewart Campbell 15 Feb 1895 Tradeston. Archibald's parents are given as Dugald McKinnon/Effy Beaton.

Dugald/Effy married 31 Oct 1857 Glasgow.

Effy Beaton was bap 22 Oct 1826 Mull, parents Donald Beaton/Christina McGilvray.

Margaret Stewart Campbell born 14 Jun 1873 Greenock, to parents Daniel Campbell/Jean Fergus.

Daniel's parents Alexander Campbell/Mary Graham
Jean's parents James McFie ??/Margaret Stewart

webmaster
www.mullfamilies.co.uk

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Taykay Irish Genealogy Roots 2
B Scottish Genealogy Roots 0
C Genealogy Beginners Help 1