• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

McLuckie & Gow families Scotland

Please excuse the long post however it is a needed if any assistance is to be provided. I am a new member and am interested in the above families that is Andrew McLuckie & Janet (sometimes Jessie) Gow. I believe I am descended from Christina daughter of Andrew & Janet (Jessie) McLuckie.

Christina arrived in Australia c. 1875 and was married as Christina Campbell stating she was born in Mary Hill Glasgow c. 1855 to Andrew Campbell, a Miner & Jessie Gow. Her first child was named Jessie - Christina died aged 28yrs in NSW. I have never been able to locate her or her alleged Campbell parents.

Following some assistance from other researchers it appears Christina was born Christina McLuckie to Andrew & Janet (Jessie) McLuckie in Mary Hill Glasgow. Birth Certificate in name of Christina McLuckie dated 21 Jun 1855 held.

Janet, her mother, died in Oct 1861 when Christina was 6 years of age and appears was raised by her aunt Margaret, sister of Janet, married to John Campbell. The Gow sisters were living next door to each in 1841, and a few doors apart in 1861.

I have been unable to locate Christina's arrival in Australia however think she must have been known as Campbell as this is the name she married under. Margaret and John Campbell had no children however both their names are featured in the Houston children (Christina's sister).

All details fit apart from the leap from surname Campbell to McLuckie and a thorough search in Scotlands People does not provide any matching Christina Campbell - any possible ones married and stayed in Scotland. Christina McLuckie appears on the 1861 and 1871 Census then disappears.

Can I take this leap? Anne Wiltshire