• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

McMullan/McMullen & Orr Downpatrick, Down & Antrim

I'd like to take my McMullan/McMullen line back further. Presently, I have a marriage record for my GG Grandparent's, John McMullan and Margaret Orr. They married at the Holy Trinity Cathedral (Church of Ireland), Downpatrick, Down, by license with consent of parents May 2, 1844. I've been told "consent of parents" meant at least one was younger than 21.

I don't know who John's parent's were, or his age. I have found a family member has a sampler made by Margaret in 1833, when she was 10 years old. A Canada census record shows her birthdate as December 7, so it may have been Dec 7, 1822? Another record tells me she was born in County Antrim, to a David Orr and Catherine.

They had a Son in Downpatrick in 1845 who they named Arthur. That record showed John was a shoemaker. In 1847, my G Grandfather, William John was born in Quebec, and about 1853/54 David was born in Kingston, Ontario.

There is no known record of John after 1850, and Margaret is married to someone else on the 1861 Ontario, Canada census.

If they used the naming pattern, it seems John's Father may have been an Arthur McMullan or McMullen. I have found a reference to an Arthur McMullan in the Downpatrick (Church of Ireland) graveyard, who I believe died in 1830 at 52 years of age, but I have no other information about him or his family?

Family lore tells us our line was originally from Scotland, but we have no idea when they migrated to Ireland? Some think one of our family was involved at the Battle of Culloden.

I'll unlikely ever be able to travel to Ireland. Any help appreciated for any info on my McMullan's or Orr's for Ireland or back to Scotland!!

Thanks so much!! Tom McMillan (Washougal, WA)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D English Genealogy Roots 3