• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

McMullan/McMullen & Orr Downpatrick, Down & Antrim

I'd like to take my McMullan/McMullen line back further. Presently, I have a marriage record for my GG Grandparent's, John McMullan and Margaret Orr. They married at the Holy Trinity Cathedral (Church of Ireland), Downpatrick, Down, by license with consent of parents May 2, 1844. I've been told "consent of parents" meant at least one was younger than 21.

I don't know who John's parent's were, or his age. I have found a family member has a sampler made by Margaret in 1833, when she was 10 years old. A Canada census record shows her birthdate as December 7, so it may have been Dec 7, 1822? Another record tells me she was born in County Antrim, to a David Orr and Catherine.

They had a Son in Downpatrick in 1845 who they named Arthur. That record showed John was a shoemaker. In 1847, my G Grandfather, William John was born in Quebec, and about 1853/54 David was born in Kingston, Ontario.

There is no known record of John after 1850, and Margaret is married to someone else on the 1861 Ontario, Canada census.

If they used the naming pattern, it seems John's Father may have been an Arthur McMullan or McMullen. I have found a reference to an Arthur McMullan in the Downpatrick (Church of Ireland) graveyard, who I believe died in 1830 at 52 years of age, but I have no other information about him or his family?

Family lore tells us our line was originally from Scotland, but we have no idea when they migrated to Ireland? Some think one of our family was involved at the Battle of Culloden.

I'll unlikely ever be able to travel to Ireland. Any help appreciated for any info on my McMullan's or Orr's for Ireland or back to Scotland!!

Thanks so much!! Tom McMillan (Washougal, WA)

Elwyn

Does the 1844 marriage have any townland (address) for either the bride or groom? Tradition was to marry in the bride’s church, so I would be inclined to search the Holy Trinity records for Margaret’s baptism and any siblings.

This Co. Down site has plenty of McMullen & Orr entries:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/

As far as the Scottish ancestry is concerned, a high percentage of the population of Co Down originated in Scotland (though they tend to be Presbyterian rather than Church of Ireland). Many arrived in the 1600s as aprt of the Hamilton & Montgomery settlement. See: http://www.hamiltonmontgomery1606.com/

Unfortunately no lists or other records exist showing exactly where in Scotland they came from (though many are known to have come from around Ayrshire, Dumfries & Galloway, Wigtownshire and Kirkcudbrightshire.

Thanks Elwyn!!

The marriage record does not say anything about townlands. I have 2 different records. One is apparently just a list of marriages. That record has the marriage incorrectly listed as May 2, 1845. The other record is on a form, that was apparently transcribed by hand by one person from perhaps the parish register? It is dated May 2, 1844 which I think is correct. The minister was James Mulligan. There were 2 witnesses, Daniel Hurst and William George Hurst. I found William George Hurst was a shoemaker in Downpatrick in 1852. John McMullan/McMullen was also a shoemaker.

I also have the baptism record for Arthur McMullan who was born to John and Margaret in March 1845. The only indication on this record was they lived in Down, and that John was a shoemaker. The minister was James Ford. The baptism was in Downpatrick, but I'm not sure if it was at the Cathedral or St Margaret's.

Thanks for the link to Ros Davies site. I have spent a lot of time looking at it the past few years. I did give Ros the information I do know, which she has listed at the site in the hopes someone might contact me with more info.

I'll see if I can find out if registers are still available for the Cathedral and St Margaret's. It seems I may have looked into that once, but can't recall now?

The Ontario 1861 census for Margaret (she was married to a John Hinds on that census) showed Margaret's birth was at County Antrim, but no townland shown unfortunately. There were a lot of David Orr's, so it's a bit of a mystery. Also, a lot of John McMullan's in Down and Antrim.

Thanks!!!

Unfortunately, it seems a lot of Church of Ireland records were destroyed I think about 1922.

I have found a little info from the folks I'm in contact with in Ireland. This fellow's father was Thomas McMullan, and Thomas' Father was Alexander McMullan born about 1829. It seems this Alexander's wife was Margaret Hill.

Alexander's and Margaret's marriage record from 1865 shows his father to also be Alexander McMullan. I found an Alexander McMullan born August 21, 1796 in Downpatrick to an Arthur McMullan and Rose.These all seem to be Church of Ireland. Arthur and Rose also had Ann in 1785 and Rose in 1794.

There is an Arthur McMullan at a Church of Ireland graveyard in Downpatrick who died in 1830 at 52 years of age, so would have been born about 1778. I thought he might be a 1st son of Arthur and Rose, but I have no birth record.

It would seem possible to me, that the Arthur born 1778 or the Alexander born 1796 could be the Father of my John McMullan. My John McMullan did name his first Son, Arthur McMullan born 1845 in Downpatrick. I don't know when my John was born, but possibly in the 1820's.

Still a mystery. So far, I haven't found any family trees with these McMullan's.

Thanks!! Tom McMillan (Washougal, WA, USA)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D English Genealogy Roots 3