• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Medal ID help

Harli

Great grandad was born in 1899 and was a chef in a large Oxford hotel. The hallmark date on the medal is 1898. I’m not sure if the medal may have belonged to his father who was born in 1862 and was a musician and later a steward at one of Oxford colleges. The letters look to be GPC.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
It looks like a clasp on the ribbon with three letters on it. If it is a clasp then it means the medal has been awarded a second time. If it is a campaign medal then the clasp would signify the particular battle. If it is not a campaign medal then I have even less idea what it might be.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hard to tell if CTC or if a bit worn away then one or both the 'Cs' are a 'G' but it has not been of help so far.

A real puzzle.

Harli

Bit of a long shot but another 2x G Grandfather born in 1881 was sent to fight in South Africa in 1899. He was sent back as medically unfit as he developed epilepsy. He did get a medal for that but I don’t know what it would have looked like.