• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Member Bootzy / Val - Vic fires

gibbo

Loyal Member
Val rang me today and she wont be able to log in to the forum for a little while. Her and her husband were involved in the bush fire at Mallacoota [vic] and is without internet etc. They still have their house but understandably very shaken and had to spend a night on the jetty with their boat for safety.

So much more to tell but most importantly that they are ok.

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
I visited Mallacoota a few yeas ago. Lovely spot but isolated with only one main road into the place plus a few minor roads to the south.

My relatives were fighting fires near Dungowan in the week leading up to Christmas.

Ladybird1300

Loyal Member
Staff member
It's ironic really, all those terrible pictures with people losing their homes and being trapped on a beach, and the new ad with Kyly and Adam Hills singing about people visiting Australia. I think there's a time and a place, but I don't think this is necessarily the time.

emeltee

Loyal Member
Flooding is a bad enough disaster but I'd rather have my house filled with several feet of water than be facing the fires raging in Oz. Those poor folk must be terrified. At least a flooded house can be dried out eventually - you're left with nothing if it's been burnt down. Here's hoping things start to improve soon.

Bootzy

Loyal Member
hi its me... hooked up to genie for power and on gongle.. so far ok ..all a bit shellshocked... mass evacuations going on up the coast from Eden, Bega to Batemans Bay and then up kancobin, tumut etc... all praying for this weekend to be over... xxx Val

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Glad to see you are fine Val.

I arrived at my cousins place between Dungowan and Weabonga on 28th to find they had no power and all the men folk were out fighting fires a few km away. Most got almost no sleep for three days. My nephew cut a fire break with a dozer and they did some back burning. The worst was over then. Power came back on next day and other neighbours watched for flying embers starting spot fires. The creek had stopped running so they were carting water to it so they had water to pump to the homestead.

horse

Loyal Member
hi its me... hooked up to genie for power and on gongle.. so far ok ..all a bit shellshocked... mass evacuations going on up the coast from Eden, Bega to Batemans Bay and then up kancobin, tumut etc... all praying for this weekend to be over... xxx Val
Good to see you're OK, Val..

Geoff