• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Memories

marjon

whilst walking the dog in our local park today, I got talking to two chaps, one was the son in law of the other elderly man who was 90 years of age, walking with a walking stick. The son in law told me his father in law was a Dutchman, emigrated to Australia in 1951. He lived and married in Delft, worked for the Dutch Resistance, nearly starved to death during the War, and was captured by the Germans and imprisoned in Spandau. His wife also 90 died early this year. He looked the happiest of men, who just enjoyed looking at the lake, the ducks and trees, even though he had dementia. He spoke English with a lovely accent. What memories that elderly Dutchman had, even though he could not remember what had been said 5 minutes previously but remembered vividly what happened 40/50 years ago. It's made me think that we need to record all memories, whether they are good or bad, enjoyable or sad.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
p.risboy FHUK General Chat Room 1
p.risboy FHUK Funny Forum 3
T Introduce Yourself 3
Edward FHUK General Chat Room 1