• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Memories

marjon

whilst walking the dog in our local park today, I got talking to two chaps, one was the son in law of the other elderly man who was 90 years of age, walking with a walking stick. The son in law told me his father in law was a Dutchman, emigrated to Australia in 1951. He lived and married in Delft, worked for the Dutch Resistance, nearly starved to death during the War, and was captured by the Germans and imprisoned in Spandau. His wife also 90 died early this year. He looked the happiest of men, who just enjoyed looking at the lake, the ducks and trees, even though he had dementia. He spoke English with a lovely accent. What memories that elderly Dutchman had, even though he could not remember what had been said 5 minutes previously but remembered vividly what happened 40/50 years ago. It's made me think that we need to record all memories, whether they are good or bad, enjoyable or sad.

leefer

Loyal Member
I would have loved to have talked to the old man myself.....lovely story Marjon.

A few years back i got in a spat with an old man in a car park....something over nothing and we both apologised to each other on realising how stupid we had been.....turned out that this old man was an ex Italian POW imprisoned at the POW camp in Swindon during WW2(County Ground footy pitch where Swindon FC play today)

When released many did not want to return to Italy and stayed on in Swindon where today there is a thriving community of Italians from this time.

We had a great chat and i often saw him afterwards for a chat about his exploits.

g d cooper

Loyal Member
I got myself a digital voice recorder after I read a report in an old paper about a race course at Black Mountain and every one I asked about it said they new nothing about it. Then the brother in law introduced me to an old fella down the road and he said of course it was over there were all the hawthorne is. So now I have a job to get all the stories of the mountain down while that generation are still withus Glen:biggrin:

Last edited:

gibbo

Loyal Member
That should be fun and interesting Glen.

I should get a voice recorder for when my dad has a few beers, the stories really start to fall out of his mouth then :biggrin: He gets on about family and even his old girlfriends from his days in England :2fun::2fun: Mum just :rolleyes: him :2fun::2fun:

g d cooper

Loyal Member
That should be fun and interesting Glen.

I should get a voice recorder for when my dad has a few beers, the stories really start to fall out of his mouth then :biggrin: He gets on about family and even his old girlfriends from his days in England :2fun::2fun: Mum just :rolleyes: him :2fun::2fun:
Shop around for one mines a cheap one I got on line for $21. It does the job but I might get a better one so I can record notes when Im reading, might save some time. This fellar down the road got some great stories.
Glen:biggrin:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
p.risboy FHUK General Chat Room 1
p.risboy FHUK Funny Forum 3
T Introduce Yourself 3
Edward FHUK General Chat Room 1