• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Merchant Navy Records

Jennifer

Hi

I would really appeciate your thoughts on how to look up my husband's grandfather.

I have him as being born in 1877 in Malpas, Cheshire. But I can't find him or any of his family on the 1891 or the 1901 census, although found them on the 1881 census.

I know he joined the British Merchant Navy when he was 12 years old. Would there be records of recruits somewhere? I believe he was in the navy for about 20 years.

Thank you for any help. :)

:( I have another question, but I think it would be best put on another thread.

Ben

A lot of the service records for men who served in the merchant navy are held at the National archives.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/merchantseaman1858-1917.htm?WT.lp=rg-3179

I think you need to go there to search as it can be time consuming.
After that you can find the ships logs and where & when they sailed. Many of there records are held by the Canadian national records. The Guild hall library London hold many of the ships records.

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporation/LGNL_Services/Leisure_and_culture/Libraries/City_of_London_libraries/guildhall_lib.htm

oznannie

Loyal Member
Hi Jennifer :)
Why not list all the info you have please.
The people in this forum have a wealth of information and may just point you in the right direction.
Good luck with your search.

ozn

Hi

I would really appeciate your thoughts on how to look up my husband's grandfather.

I have him as being born in 1877 in Malpas, Cheshire. But I can't find him or any of his family on the 1891 or the 1901 census, although found them on the 1881 census.

I know he joined the British Merchant Navy when he was 12 years old. Would there be records of recruits somewhere? I believe he was in the navy for about 20 years.

Thank you for any help. :)

:( I have another question, but I think it would be best put on another thread.
Hi Jennifer,
i came across a web site called Naval-History. I think it contained onfo about both Merchant and Royal navy. I found some very interesting information there, why not give it a try, good luck. Jeanbean