• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

michael manning 1857

jack

Hi there,

I am looking for a baptism of Michael Manning born about 1857 in Ireland to parents Patrick and Elizabeth. I have them in 1871 England Census living in Newcastle Under Lyme, together with his sister Mary born about 1854 in Ireland. Patrick shown to be born about 1805 and Elizabeth about 1827.
If there is also perhaps a passenger list for him, his sister and parents leaving Ireland for England i would be most grateful.

Many thanks
Kind regards
Jackie

oznannie

Loyal Member
Hello I don't believe there are any shipping records of folks from Ireland to England however I will stand corrected if someone can help.

I looked in IGI for birth/baptism in Ireland with no luck for Michael, sorry.

oznannie

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Jackie,

As with Oznannie, I didn't find him. I looked on two sites 1857 +/- 2 years but no luck. Not all records have been entered on the sites. Some counties won't release the records and in other counties only some records are on line so far. 1857 is after the start of Civil Registration but it's also possible his birth was not registered. Even if he was baptised that does not mean the parish was willing to release the records. Some Bishops won't. Simple as that, sadly. There are many reasons why pre- and post Civil Registration records can't be found.

Regards,

Dave

jack

That is so sad. So what you are saying, is that the only way i will be able to trace him, is by actually being in Ireland? And how would i know which parish to start with? I do not have a death notice for him in the South Africa archives, only one for his wife.

Regards
jackie

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Jackie,

Irish ancestry is no fun. Certainly, a search in the Records Office in Dublin is one way of increasing your chances of finding the record. I can't say it will be there because I spent 5 weeks in Ireland 3 years ago and went to the Records Office and the National Archives and for one branch of the HAMILTON family found birth registrations for 4 out of 6 children only.

If you know the family is RC or CofI or Presbyterian, etc.. it helps too. Some RC families might not register the birth but instead have a church baptism. Depending on the county you may not even get access to those church records, or you might by contacting the Bishop. If it is CofI then it's more likely the record will be in the Records Office.

One alternative is to wait for more data to be added to the on-line databases. But, I can't predict when the outstanding data will be added. Some counties don't like the data being available in a free-to-search index. They want you to pay for every search, not just for the detailed record.

I have brick walls in Ireland on both sides of the family in 1830s. That's before Civil Registration. Records were lost in the 1922 fire in the Four Courts Building. Some have been recovered from duplicate registers kept in the parish churches but many were lost forever. Sorry, that's the way it is.

Regards,

Dave

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DaveHam9 Marriages 17
DaveHam9 Deaths 3
DaveHam9 Deaths 78
H FHUK General Chat Room 12
DaveHam9 Deaths 2
DaveHam9 1871 Census Request 37