• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Middle name Pinder?

parky

From
England
I have 2 members on my tree with Pinder as a middle name. They are Hubert Pinder Parkinson born Cowley 1889 and his nephew Thomas Pinder Parkinson born Ahmednagar India 1913. Pinder is not a family name. Both their fathers served in India. So I am wondering if Pinder is an Indian name?
Any help or guidance would be appreciated. Thankyou.
Colin Parkinson

Pinder is Sikh/Punjabi Boy name and meaning of this name is "Brave Leader".

The saga of the name Pinder follows a line reaching back through history to the days of the Anglo-Saxon tribes in Britain. It was a name for someone who worked as a person who worked as the Pinder which referred to the individual who impounded stray cattle.

Steve.:)

Steve,
I appreciate your help. Did you find the "Brave Leader" definition of Pinder on any online Sikh/Punjabi directory?
Yes I did come across that Pinder was an old English word for an impounder of stray cattle but I think this is irrelevant in this case. I think the Pinder used as a middle name in my family is an Indian name or word as you suggest. As I mentioned originally I don't believe it is a former family name.
Thanks again.
Parky.

Steve, as I have been unsuccessful in finding this general search for the Seikh/Punjabi definition are you able to give me a link or guide me as to how you found it?
Thanks.
Parky

Oh, that's a shame. If you or anyone should come across this link I would be grateful if they could let me know as I would like to inform descendants of Hubert Pinder Parkinson and Thomas Pinder Parkinson where the unusual middle name of their ancestor came from.
Thank you.
Parky.

Back