• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Missing Gt Grandmother

Hello

I can't find Mary Ellen Mansell at all before her marriage to Robert Lees in 1890 in Ashton under Lyne .Fathers given name is William Mansell -flour miller -not down as deceased .Age at marriage 29 .I have her on 1891 and 1901 census ,

1891 -RG12/3294 Folio 125,page 32

Living with hubby and family at 28 George St Ashton under Lyne

1901 -RG13/3800 Folio 91,page 27

Again with hubby and family at 1 Heys Yd Ashton under Lyne

She is giving place of birth as Lancashire but I can't find her on Lancs BMD or Free BMD ,

Can anybody tell me where else to find her ,the only poss I keep coming back to is a Mary Mansell born in Wellington Shropshire ,father has the right name but he's a shoe maker ! Thanks Dolly

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Dolly,

On the christneing records there is a Mary Ellen Mansell.

Christening date 12 Mar 1876
Now has her birth year is as 1876 but also she is down as an adult next to age of christening.

Place of christening
Habergham Eaves Lancashire
Father
William
Mother
Rachel

This is just a transcription so cannot check the original reocrd.

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
I keep coming back to the family in Shropshire, though Mary is down as Mary Ellen assuming she is the Mary Ann christened in 1859. William the father is still being shown as a shoemaker but his occ is also shoemaker/journeyman.

I had the same probelem with one of mine changing their occupation and his father also being a shoemaker then changed his occ to shipwright then back to shoemaker. It did get confusing but found the youngest child linked the families together especially being Davies and Jones families.

If they are the same wonder why she was christned twice?

Last edited:

patrickw

Hello Dolly ( hey, should make that into a song lol ) & Julie
Just a quick note on why this lady may have been christened twice, my grandmother (b1883 also at Habagham Eves) was also christened twice. On the first occasion, the local priest visited the home becouse it was thought she would not survive the birth, and the second in the local church when it became apparant she would (had)
Also for future ref on this if it helps, Habagham Eves is now part of Burnley and all records are held at Burnley public library.
Best wishes
Pat

Hi to juliejtp and patrickw

Thank you both very much for looking for me , I'm very interested in the christening of the Mary Ellen as an adult in Habergham Eaves Lancs I just wonder if that could possibly be her ,thanks for the ref for Henry Mansell I can now check him out -this is the closest I have ever felt about Mary Ellen .Thanks patrickw for the info about Burnley it gives me more to go on,and also about the Townley Hall info ,I wish now that I had chosen a better user name "Hello Dolly and all that !"

Thank you

Dolly