• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Missing in 1861 Betsy Jonathan Clegg

duckweed

Loyal Member
I can't find my couple in Leeds in 1861. In 1871 they are in Hunslett Potter Newton 14 Union Terrace Jonathan Clegg 1823 Dewsbury Yorkshire occupation draper laceman, Betsy Clegg wife 1827 Torksey Lincolnshire. Betsy's maiden name was Bullivant. In 1881 she is widowed. I can find her in 1891 too, but although she did not die till 1919 I can't find her in the 1901 census either. Jonathan died in 1880 I think, certainly between 1871 and 1881. I've tried using Ancestry and can't get them. I tried the search engine for the 1901 census and think I got Jonathan put as age 40 in Hunslet but Betsy doesn't come up at all. If you can solve this puzzle I would be greatful.

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Duckweed,

This may be Betsy in 1901, although the pob is transcribed as Thithray Leicestershire. Looking at the image I would say Torskey Lincs.

Civil parish Potter Newton

Betsy Clegg age 73 widow boarder

duckweed

Loyal Member
I think you are right about the 1901 census. I think the surname must be spelled wrongly in 1861 but goodness knows what. Ennumerators have previously called Lincolnshire Lancashire and Torksey has been Torquay, Yorkshiresy, and many others. You would have thought an ennumerator could work out Clegg though. It is a common local name. The other place a lot of my family were in was in the city centre in Lowerhead Row, Fenton Street, Mark Lane, Boar Lane especially Lowerhead Row.