• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Missing in Action

ronmanley

Hello

I am a researcher looking for living relatives of a RAF 'Missing In Action Crew' that went missing in 1945 during WW2 in the Andaman Islands in the Bay of Bengal.

All the next of kin of this crew have ever known for 65yrs is that their loved were presumed killed with no known grave.

That was until 2009, when we found the crash and grave site, that has been confirmed from interviews with the local people in the area.

It was an 11 man crew, we have managed to locate and are in contact with six of the kin families to date. We are desperate to find the other five. We are working closely with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission who are planning to visit the site and investigate further.

We have a strong lead on the Bomb Aimer Iuean Anthony Morgan who was born in Swansea, Glamorgan, Wales in 1922. He had two sisters Eluned born 1896 and Sybil born 1919.
One of these sisters is still alive and had two children.

I'm hoping that this forum will be able to help us find these people.

There mothers name was Fisher, married to a Morgan and they lived in Oystermouth, Glamorgan. An area known in Wales as the Mumbles.
If somebody has assess to the 1911 census and could find details of the family I would be grateful

February 2011 Update:

Following on with the success of the news story we ran in the Belfast Telegraph for other crew kin. We ran similar story with the Swansea Evening Post, for relatives to come forward for Ieuan 'Tony' Morgan.
http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/news/Historians-search-family-link-wartime-airman/article-3218053-detail/article.html

Within 24hrs we made contact with two of Tony's niece's, Eluned Daughters, Sybil, Tony's other sister has now been told of the brothers fate, an emotional time for her to come to terms with it after all this time, she was more pleased that the did not die as a result of being a Japanese POW.

Only another three more kin families to find and we have all eleven families of the crew found

Last edited:

oznannie

Loyal Member
On behalf of other members Welcome Aboard.
1911 census has a strict copyright, pay per view site, we are unable to help or risk losing our membership.
Just to query, a big gap between a sister born 1896 and the two others??
ozn welcome

Hi
David/Jane had 10 children, the first in 1885, the last in 1900. I find it strange no more till Sybil in 1919 then Ienan in 1922. There is also a William G also born to Morgan/Fisher in 1934 Swansea.

dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello and welcome to FHUK.

After you have made three moderated posts the PM (Personal Message) system will be available to you and information that can't be placed in open forum can be passed on to you.

Regards,

Dave

ronmanley

Thanks for all your really prompt replies.

Having spoken to people who knew the family and are assisting us to trace the sister. There was only Eluned, Sybil and Ieuan in the family group.

Eluned was married we think to a William known locally as Bill.

Totally understand regarding the 1911 Census.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello,

Possible:

Marriages Jun 1935
Davies William I -Morgan Ystradgynlais 11b 154
Morgan Eluned -Davies Ystradgynlais 11b 154

or

Marriages Dec 1936
Jones William S -Morgan Neath 11a 1747
Morgan Eluned -Jones Neath 11a 1747

Regards,

Dave

Hi
I think we may be getting somewhere
John Devonald Morgan 1887 married Elizabeth Ann Fisher 1886, in Swansea, March Qtr 1910 ref 11a 1434. They had a child Elizabeth Eluned in Dec 1910 at 57 Middle Road, Cwmbwria, Swansea.

dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello,

I'm curious about this third birth also in Swansea also with mother = Fisher:

Births Dec 1914
Morgan John F -Fisher Swansea 11a 2351

Births Sep 1919
Morgan Sybil -Fisher Swansea 11a 2016

Births Jun 1922
Morgan Ienan A -Fisher Swansea 11a 2031

Regards,

Dave

ronmanley

Wow thanks - your your all working well - Cheers

Iuean Anthony Morgan was definitely born 17 May 1922 he died on his birthday.
Details obtained from Roll of Honour archived newspapers from 1946/47

Thanks - Ron

jackson

Hello

I am a researcher looking for living relatives of a RAF 'Missing In Action Crew' that went missing in 1945 during WW2 in the Andaman Islands in the Bay of Bengal.

All the next of kin of this crew have ever known for 65yrs is that their loved were presumed killed with no known grave.

That was until 2009, when we found the crash and grave site, that has been confirmed from interviews with the local people in the area.

It was an 11 man crew, we have managed to locate and are in contact with six of the kin families to date. We are desperate to find the other five. We are working closely with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission who are planning to visit the site and investigate further.

We have a strong lead on the Bomb Aimer Iuean Anthony Morgan who was born in Swansea, Glamorgan, Wales in 1922. He had two sisters Eluned born 1896 and Sybil born 1919.
One of these sisters is still alive and had two children.

I'm hoping that this forum will be able to help us find these people.

There mothers name was Fisher, married to a Morgan and they lived in Oystermouth, Glamorgan. An area known in Wales as the Mumbles.
If somebody has assess to the 1911 census and could find details of the family I would be grateful
Hi Ronmanley and welcome to the forum, i note with interest your research on this RAF crew and am wondering where the aircraft was based,would you know its point of origin ? I am not by any means an in depth RAF researcher but have an interest in this area as my late father flew out of India and Burma between 1944 and 1946. I have found it difficult to access any ORBs during this time and would appreciate any pointers. Good luck with your worthwhile research.
Regards Jackson.

ronmanley

Hi Jackson

The aircraft was a consolidated Liberator from 355 squadron coded KH250 H 'Hawkeye' based at Salbini India on the east coast of India.

My particular interest with this crew is that my uncle was the Tail Gunner of this crew, and his widow and daughter are still with us.

Four of this crew including my uncle were flying Lancaster's together with 101 Squadron into France and Germany, they were so close that they all got posted together to 355 in India. We managed to obtain the orb's for their complete tour, 32 missions, and is fascinating reading.

Which squadron was you father with, have you be able to obtain his service record. There are so many knowledgeable researchers out there dealing with all the RAF Squadrons.

Come back to me and I will try and point you in the right direction.

Regards Ron

I was trying to find a marriage for Sybil or Elizabeth Eluned. So many Morgans, Rees, Davis etc, but I came up with this one.

Elizabeth E Morgan married William Hudson J/S 1931 Neath ref 11a 1977
they had two children
Vernon J/M 1933 Neath ref 11a 1225
Noreen O/D 1936 Neath ref 11a 918

may be worth keeping on the back burner

dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Ron & Jackson,

I'm interested too because I have one in my tree. I have some information but have not until now thought of trying to find more details.

A G Sands S/N 402578 - Enlisted 16 Sep 1940 - Specialty Salesman - RCAF Training Canada 23 Jan 1941 to 30 Jun 1941 - 455 Sqn RAAF Bomber Command 29 Jul 1941 to 30 Nov 1941 (Officially presumed)
Navigator (PO) in Hampden bomber shot down over Germany.
Hampden P1272 took off from RAF Swinderby at 1654 hours on the night of 30 Nov 1941 to bomb the Blohm & Voss Shipbuilding Yards at Hamburg, Germany.
Crew:
RAAF 404264 Sgt Shannon, J (Pilot) 404246 ?
RAAF 402578 PO Sands, A G (Navigator)
RAF 1375139 Sgt Shorey, A C (Wireless Operator/Air Gunner)
RAF 1258909 Sgt Towers, V E (Air Gunner)
Buried in Ohlsdorf Cemetery, Hamburg, Plot 5A, Row E, Grave 1.

Regards,

Dave

jackson

Hi Jackson

The aircraft was a consolidated Liberator from 355 squadron coded KH250 H 'Hawkeye' based at Salbini India on the east coast of India.

My particular interest with this crew is that my uncle was the Tail Gunner of this crew, and his widow and daughter are still with us.

Four of this crew including my uncle were flying Lancaster's together with 101 Squadron into France and Germany, they were so close that they all got posted together to 355 in India. We managed to obtain the orb's for their complete tour, 32 missions, and is fascinating reading.

Which squadron was you father with, have you be able to obtain his service record. There are so many knowledgeable researchers out there dealing with all the RAF Squadrons.

Regards Ron
Thanks for the reply ron, i have to go and earn a dollar right now but will send details when i get back
Regards Jackson

jackson

Hi Jackson

Regards Ron
hi Ron
Just looking at my fathers service record he obtained his commision oct 1944 and it seems he started his time in India at RAF stn Poona,he then was sent to (it is hard to read) i think 298 Sqn in april 1945. He spent a lot of time moving around different areas then was attached to HQ 229 grp.
It then looks like either 1332 or 1322 HTCU till march 1946, on the 3/6/46 he was with 246 Sqd till 29/10/46 then finished up with 51 Sqd.
As i said before i am by no means a RAF researcher but am keen to learn, so any pointers would be appreciated.
regards Jackson.

ronmanley

Hi Jackson

I have listed below what I have found out. Service records are quite hard to read some times.

RAF Poona
Now known as Pune-Lohegaon Air Force Station, Maharashtra (West Coast of India)

RAF 298 Squadron
Base: RAF Tarrant Rushton in Dorset, UK
Glider Transport & Special Operations

They provided 'Tugs' to get the gliders airborne.

In July 1945 the 298 squadron moved to Raipur, British India (North Eastern Area of India) to provide transport support to the Army.

HQ 229 Group was part of South East Asia Command – Transport Command

1332 HTCU - Heavy Transport Conversion Group
Base: RAF Longtown - Cumbria and RAF Dishforth - North Yorkshire
44–May 47
It was for air crew to convert from one type of aircraft to another
It covered these type of aircraft
Liberator III / V /VI / VII / IX - York C.1 - Stirling III
Halifax VII / IX - Skymaster C.1 - Oxford I

RAF 246 Squadron
Merged with 511 Squadron 15 October 1946

On 11 October 1944 the squadron reformed at Lyneham as a transport unit with Liberators and began operating long distance services to the Middle and Far East on 19 October. In December, No.246 began to receive Yorks and used these at first for carrying VIP's taking over from the Metropolitan Communications Squadron in February 1945. Some Skymasters were received pending their transfer to No.232 Squadron and at the end of the war the squadron was organised into three flights, one for VIP use, one for cargo and one to fly scheduled services to India. In November, the VIP flight left the squadron and No.246 became fully equipped with Yorks which it flew on services to India and the Middle East until it merged with No.511 Squadron on 15 October 1946.

298 Squadron - http://www.raf38group.org/298squadron

246 Squadron - http://www.historyofwar.org/air/units/RAF/246_wwII.html

I hope this helps

Regards - Ron

jackson

Hi Jackson

I have listed below what I have found out. Service records are quite hard to read some times.

RAF Poona
Now known as Pune-Lohegaon Air Force Station, Maharashtra (West Coast of India)

RAF 298 Squadron
Base: RAF Tarrant Rushton in Dorset, UK
Glider Transport & Special Operations

They provided 'Tugs' to get the gliders airborne.

In July 1945 the 298 squadron moved to Raipur, British India (North Eastern Area of India) to provide transport support to the Army.

HQ 229 Group was part of South East Asia Command – Transport Command

1332 HTCU - Heavy Transport Conversion Group
Base: RAF Longtown - Cumbria and RAF Dishforth - North Yorkshire
44–May 47
It was for air crew to convert from one type of aircraft to another
It covered these type of aircraft
Liberator III / V /VI / VII / IX - York C.1 - Stirling III
Halifax VII / IX - Skymaster C.1 - Oxford I

RAF 246 Squadron
Merged with 511 Squadron 15 October 1946

On 11 October 1944 the squadron reformed at Lyneham as a transport unit with Liberators and began operating long distance services to the Middle and Far East on 19 October. In December, No.246 began to receive Yorks and used these at first for carrying VIP's taking over from the Metropolitan Communications Squadron in February 1945. Some Skymasters were received pending their transfer to No.232 Squadron and at the end of the war the squadron was organised into three flights, one for VIP use, one for cargo and one to fly scheduled services to India. In November, the VIP flight left the squadron and No.246 became fully equipped with Yorks which it flew on services to India and the Middle East until it merged with No.511 Squadron on 15 October 1946.

298 Squadron - http://www.raf38group.org/298squadron

246 Squadron - http://www.historyofwar.org/air/units/RAF/246_wwII.html

I hope this helps

Regards - Ron
Thanks Ron an absolute great help cant thank you enough. that will help me kick start that side of my research. once again thank you so much.
regards jackson.