• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Missing in Action

ronmanley

Hello

Continuing with my search for this 'Missing In Action Crew'. Can you help find relatives of these people.

John Herbert McDowall - 2nd Pilot FAMILY LOCATED & CONTACTED
Born: Oct-Nov-Dec 1923

Father: Norman Herbert McDowall
Born: June 1896
Death: 1950 Manchester, Lancashire, England

Mother: Doris Mabel Rhyddero
Born: 8 May 1896
Death: Oct – Nov – Dec 1980

Harold Emerson - Navigator FAMILY LOCATED & CONTACTED
Born: 1922

Father: John Wilson
Mother: Eva Emerson

Hugh Campbell - Wireless Operator FAMILY LOCATED & CONTACTED
Born: 1912

Father: Hugh Campbell
Mother: Elizabeth Campbell,

Harold Wynne - Mid Upper Gunner FAMILY LOCATED & CONTACTED
Born: 1922

Father: Edwin Wynne
Mother: Florence Wynne

Please bear in mind we have all the relevant military details, what we are looking for is relatives.

PLEASE NOTE

As this is a very sensitive and emotional project and to spare any living relatives we might find from upset and stress, please post any details you find and think they are the living relatives, to me as a private message.

We will then make contact with them.

Thank you all for your help over the last week with Ieuan Anthony Morgan, and look forward to hearing from you with regard his crew mates.

Best Regards - Ron

Last edited:

ronmanley

Missing in Action Update

Just to keep you all updated

We have now established a connection to the kin of W/O Hugh Campbell in Belfast, and also a stronger lead on the sister of Ieuan Anthony Morgan who
is still alive somewhere in Swansea, the bad weather over the last month has slowed progress somewhat.

That's seven of the eleven crew kin now found.

Best Regards - Ron

ronmanley

Thanks Leefer

It's been a hard slog up to know.

Our problem at this stage is to get the CWGC to actually visit the grave site located in the Andaman Islands. They have known of our findings for over a year, and still they have not visited.

Protocol insists that the CWGC need to visit and access the situation before the MoD will even consider, acknowledging the grave or moving the remains of these airmen to a proper military cemetery, possible in India, and lay them to rest with the dignity they so rightly deserve.

Diplomacy and Red Tape with the permissions needed from India, has proved difficult to date.

Unfortunately, time is against us, some of the nearest kin for these lads and now into their later years, and the grave, damage by the Boxing Day Tsunami in 2004, is continuing to deteriorate.

But we have a plan.......................

I'll leave that there for now

Best Regards - Ron

Last edited:

ronmanley

Hi All

Continuing with this investigation, we ran a story in the Manchester Evening News 'In Touch' section on Saturday 22 January,the text only version can be viewed her http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/comment/in_touch/2011/01/22. to try and locate kin of the 2nd Pilot John Herbert McDowall.

To date we have had three contacts phone me who knew of John and his family. He had no siblings, his father was elected MP for the Crumpsall ward in the 1949 elections, and died the following year 1950, a street name 'McDowall Walk' was named after him

The family lived at 28 Newland Street, Crumpsall, Manchester

John was schooled at Crumpsall Lane School, his first job was at Clayton Aniline Company prior to enlisting with the RAF

What I am trying to locate now is Obituary's of the family, to try and gain more information on any relatives.

John McDowall - Died 17 May 1945
Norman Herbert McDowall - Died 1950
Doris Mabel McDowall - Died c1980

If anyone can help it would be very much appreciated

Best Regards - Ron

ronmanley

Morgan Family Found

Following a newspaper article to locate kin of our Bomb Aimer Ieuan Anthony Morgan, we are now in contact with his sister and two niece's.

Only another three family's to find of the eleven crew 'Missing in Action'.

What I'm trying to find now is which Allied forces re-occupied the Andaman Islands on 6th October 1945.

Who erected the grave stone? It is known it was the occupying forces, but there is no paper trail from 1945 back to the then Air Ministry.

Can anyone help

Best Regards - Ron

ronmanley

ONGOING RESEARCH

Hello

I need you help again PLEASE.

We are now in contact with eight of the eleven next of kin families of this crew.

Next on our list is the Emerson kin, Harold Emerson, the navigator had a sister Olive N Emerson who married Alfred G F Michie in the last quarter of 1942 in Camberwell, Surrey.

Alfred was born in 13 April 1922 and died Mar 1992 in Bromley, Kent.

We have found today a listing for a Olive N Michie living in Orpington aged 65yrs +, which could be the Olive we need to contact.

If anyone happens to live in this area, or has access to telephone directories for that area, it would be useful to know her address so we could write to her or a telephone number to speak to her.

It is really important that we make contact with her.

Rather that broadcast these details publicly, please make contact with me privately.

Thanks to all of you in advance - Ron

Last edited:

ronmanley

Hi

Following up on my request for information ref: Olive N Michie (nee Emerson)
Has anybody got access to Electoral Rolls for 2002-2010, as these listed Olive N. Michie in Orpington, Kent.

It might have an address, maybe an old one, but it would be another lead.

Best Regards - Ron

leefer

Loyal Member
Hi Ron...192.com has her address.........thats not to say she is still there,as they use the voting records that go back a bit.......if i get it i will PM you.

ronmanley

Probate Wills

Does anybody know anything about Probate Wills, I'm looking for details for Olive N Michie's husband Alfred George F Michie, who dies in Mar 1992 in Bromley, Kent, England.
If I could find that will it might give an address to follow up.

Cheers - Ron

ronmanley

Missing In Action Update

Since the crew grave has been found in 2009. We have been pressing the MOD and the Commonwealth War Graves Commission to take over and have the remains recovered and placed in a War Cemetery in India.

For the last fourteens months since we handed over our evidence file, the MOD had asked the outer area office of the CWGC to investigate our research. All we had been told since then was that the CWGC have been waiting for permissions and permits from the Indian government.

A couple of months ago, we thought enough was enough, we then started to lobby dignitaries of the UK government, CWGC, the Indian High Commission in London, even the Indian Presidents office was involved and the Indian MOD.

All of a sudden permissions were granted and the CWGC visit is now going ahead in this month.

Naturally the next of kin of the crew that we have been in contact with are delighted, and closure of this sad story is nearly within reach, after 65 years of not knowing.

The moral of this investigation is NEVER EVER GIVE UP.

All the Best Ron Manley

leefer

Loyal Member
You should be proud of the work you have done Ron.

These brave souls gave there all.......as much as any person could.

They deserve to be recognised......WELL DONE AND KEEP UP YOUR GOOD WORK.

On a similar issue i hear today that the 2000 nurses who braved both world wars are at long last to be recognised ......think a wall somewhere with the names of all of them....hoping to get the go ahead soon.

A forgotten army they were.....a horrid job certainly with the injuries of modern warfare

All the best to you.....................Lee.

ronmanley

Hi Lee

It was not only me, Matt Poole a friend in America, a leading researcher on Liberator aircraft, was the main thrust behind the research.
We the families owe him so much. Plus all the next of kin families who have helped along the way.

Not forgetting Bill Kennard, a crew member that was stood down from that fatal mission, he is overjoyed about what is happening.

It's certainly a good feeling now that we can see just a tiny spec of light at the end of the tunnel. I suspect that it will still be long time before we reach the end of that tunnel.

Thanks Lee.

Last edited:

leefer

Loyal Member
Hi Lee

It was not only me, Matt Poole a friend in America, a leading researcher on Liberator aircraft, was the main thrush behind the research.
We the families owe him so much. Plus all the next of kin families who have helped along the way.

Not forgetting Bill Kennard, a crew member that was stood down from that fatal mission, he is overjoyed about what is happening.

It's certainly a good feeling now that we can see just a tiny spec of light at the end of the tunnel. I suspect that it will still be long time before we reach the end of that tunnel.

Thanks Lee.
Well sooner rather than later lets hope:)