• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Missing Vincents

Hi, my name is Shelagh, I am not only new to this site, but new to the Internet, so there has been a lot of swearing even to get this far! I am sure when I get into this ancestory malarkey I will find a Luddite, or a Leveller! I am trying tofind my paternal family background, simply because my grandad was a mystery man! All we know about him was his mother died giving birth to him (we think!) he was never registered, and his father farmed out all his siblings and him to whoever would take them in. I am not sure of his birthdate, but think it must have been about 1900. I am also unsure where he was born, it could have been Hampshire, but his children disagree on this, some say it was Chichester, others Fulham! He was only recognised as existing at all by the Pensions department because he served as a diver during the first World War, and they used his records to pay him. I know I need to check these records to be even able to start, but at this stage dont know where to look. An intriguing aside is that when I was about 13, my cousin, who was a "Ten Pound Pom" had a relationship with a "medium" in Australia. She told him that my Grandad had contacted her and told her he was on a ship that got blown up, and his experiences had made him the way he was, I suppose we would now call it "Post Traumatic Stress" My grandad was so disliked by most of the family that they never followed this up, but it has intrigued me ever since, and I would love to know if she was right. She gave my cousin the name of the ship, but all I can remember so many years later is that it began with an A. Of course it is only since the internet that I have had the chance to do this. If anyone out there can give me advice it will be greatfully accepted.

leefer

Loyal Member
Welcome Shelagh....ime sure if you can give a few details you will be rewarded with some news....whatever people thaught of him he put his life on the line like loads of others.....he probably has a good story...hope you can read it one day!...Lee

sterico

Loyal Member
welcome Shelagh to the F.H.U.K group ,
we hope that we can be of assistance to you in your research, if you need help from us , please post your queries in the correct titled forum, along with any relevant information, and our members will help you as much as they possibly can .
We hope you enjoy our forums and look forward to giving you help in your quest, good luck and every success in your research .
best regards Sterico