• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

More 1851 census ancestors.

benny1982

Staff member
Loyal Member
Hi

In recent times due to new lines being discovered, I have managed to find a few more ancestors on the 1851 census.

Recently I finally found a marriage which I had been looking up for years and due to that found Matthia Butler on the 1851 census in Wootton, Oxfordshire, now I have found another one in Rochford, Essex plus another possible one in Panfield, Essex.

My 5xgreat grandmother was Mary Newman, wife of Thomas Newman. they wed in 1817 in Eastwood, Essex and her maiden name was Boosey. Mary was born in 1789 in Eastwood and had a brother Samuel Boosey born in 1800 in Eastwood, both children of William and Anna Boosey. William and Anna wed in 1788. Anna was a minor at that time, aged about 17. She was born in 1769 in Eastwood.

Mary Newman is on the 1851 census in Wakering, Essex with her married daughter Clara Whale. Mary died a few months afterwards aged 63. I found Mary's brother Samuel Boosey on the 1851 census in Stroud Green, Rochford, Essex aged 49 born in eastwood and his 82 year old mother Anne Boosey was living with him. Anne died in February the year afterwards.

That means that Mary Newman still had her elderly mother alive when she died in July 1851.

Also, I may have found an Ann Lawrence aged 82 in Panfield. My 5xgreat grandmother was Ann Lawrence who was born in 1797 in Panfield, daughter of Thomas and Ann Lawrence who wed in 1795. Ann Snr died in 1852 so if her death cert says "Widow of Thomas" then I have yet another 1851 census ancestor. Glad they hung on to give their birthplaces and that they were still around in this census.

Ben