• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

More Hints.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
I've just had a message from the A site, informing me I have another 100 hints for my tree.:2fun:

I'll add these to my total so far, of 18271 hints. Isn't life grand.:2fun:

Steve.:)

thecelticbard

Valued Member
With that number to look at, it'll keep you out of mischief for a while. :2fun::2fun:

My bug bear is the number of other family trees with Davies and Evans whose births are so different from the reality, it is mind boggling, especially when most of them are no where near where mine were born.

I would suggest it may be advisable to have a pint of Guinness when you look through them, it's known for calming the nerves? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Iechydd, Steve

emeltee

Loyal Member
That's probably more hints than you have people in your tree. I presume we won't hear from you for quite a while as you check them all out, or are you like me and tend to ignore them until you are really bored one day, then have a quick look and ignore them again because they are nothing to do with your family anyway. Usually just the same name and approximate birth year but could be anywhere in the world. In other words a total waste of time.

Emeltee

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
That's probably more hints than you have people in your tree. I presume we won't hear from you for quite a while as you check them all out, or are you like me and tend to ignore them until you are really bored one day, then have a quick look and ignore them again because they are nothing to do with your family anyway. Usually just the same name and approximate birth year but could be anywhere in the world. In other words a total waste of time.

Emeltee
I used to look at them many years ago, and about 20% were of any use. I really started to ignore them, when most of the hints were for Essex records, even though 90% of my rellies are from Bucks.

I really don't understand why Anc. can confuse Bucks with Essex(and other counties), and call them realistic hints.
I do tend to look at other family tree hints, but most of them are copies of other trees, with no records to speak of, and generally with all the same, or similar errors.
Just this week, with my Allens'.......5 other trees have him born in Bletchley, even though he was born in Saunderton. Wrong spouse, but some children born in the same town as mine. They are a mix and match, to whatever may fit, but totally useless.:rolleyes:

So, I can't be bothered to look at, or delete the hints......and I wait for the next 100 or so.:2fun:

I will never be that bored to go looking through them, and have asked Anc. for a way to delete them all with just one hit of a button. But no, they will not be looking into it. So deleting them one at time is not on for me.......even if I get really really bored.:2fun:

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
How they can confuse Essex with Bucks is beyond me. Bucks ancestors are hard to trace online as it is as records are very thin on the ground on t'internet and I have some rellies who originated there and moved to Oxfordshire.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
How they can confuse Essex with Bucks is beyond me. Bucks ancestors are hard to trace online as it is as records are very thin on the ground on t'internet and I have some rellies who originated there and moved to Oxfordshire.
Yes, they are a bit thin Ben. I have almost 50 Pr CD's, but there are plenty more Parishes that aren't on CD. But BucksFHS have helped me a great deal. But £1 at a time, soon adds up for searches.:rolleyes::)

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Yes, they are a bit thin Ben. I have almost 50 Pr CD's, but there are plenty more Parishes that aren't on CD. But BucksFHS have helped me a great deal. But £1 at a time, soon adds up for searches.:rolleyes::)
About 6 years ago I once asked if you had Radclive on CD and you said no. Have you acquired Radclive since or are they among the parishes not on CD as I have ancestors from there?

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
About 6 years ago I once asked if you had Radclive on CD and you said no. Have you acquired Radclive since or are they among the parishes not on CD as I have ancestors from there?
No Ben, Radclive isn't published yet. But searches are available, as they have most, if not all Parishes in their databases, but not on CD, or (PDF)/paper form.
They have a list of 181 Parishes on the web site, and indicate which ones are available on CD, or for search purposes only.
£1 per 100 year search per item of burial, baptism or marriage. No Registry Office records.

And they don't send me any HINTS.:2fun::2fun:

If you want a list of what I have for Bucks, or Oxfordshire on CD, please ask.:)

Now I accept I'm not the expert on dealing with websites, but the hints that were listed for my 7; 6 & 5 great grandparents on one side of my family tree are now "NO LONGER AVAILABLE?" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The mind boggles, and 40 years ago I was told that 'the computer' will make life so much easier and cut paperwork? :confused: