• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Mortimer. Ashfield Cum Thorpe, Suffolk.

James Moss Mortimer baptised 21 Feb 1796 Ashfield Cum Thorpe, mother Ann Mortimer, no father.
George Mortimer baptised 11 Feb 1798 Ashfield Cum Thorpe, mother Ann Mortimer, no father.
Robert Mortimer married Ann Rowe 21 Jun 1776 Ashfield Cum Thorpe. Robert died 1792 Ashfield Cum Thorpe. Robert and Ann had 5 other children together.
Trying to find a father for James and George, could it be Moss? Have looked at the Bastardy Files that are online but could'nt find a match but not all are online.
Any help appreciated.

Ellie7

Loyal Member
There are Moss Surname in Ashfield Cum Thorpe, but if the father is not on record then I doubt he will be found. Are they any other connections in the Mortimer side with a Moss Surname? For myself ,I have seen a record of a woman while giving birth shouting out a different mans name from that which she had accused. stated on Parish Records.

There are Moss Surname in Ashfield Cum Thorpe, but if the father is not on record then I doubt he will be found. Are they any other connections in the Mortimer side with a Moss Surname? For myself ,I have seen a record of a woman while giving birth shouting out a different mans name from that which she had accused. stated on Parish Records.
Hi Ellie7, Thats the only connection with a Mr. Moss apart from some recollection from someone who says she saw a note some where saying Ann Mortimer was working for a Moss after 1798. I can't find Ann after Georges birth but can trace George until his death, there are some maybe's for James.

horse

Loyal Member
There doesn't look to be an obvious death or remarriage for Ann until 1850, the NBI has this

29 Oct 1850
Ann MORTIMER
Aged 94
Ashfield cum Thorpe, St Mary

If that's her she should be around in 1841..

Geoff

horse

Loyal Member
Something to ponder..

RD: Thingoe
Parish: Ashfield With Thorpe
Anne Mortenson 85
Ann Read 8

A user submission on Anc. has it as Mortimer.

Geoff

horse

Loyal Member
Just checked FS they have the 1841 as Mortimer..

HERE

Geoff

EDIT: It says there is an image, when I checked it wasn't available at that time.

horse

Loyal Member
There are some public trees on Anc. that have an Amy Mortimer, parents Robert & Ann Row/e
"Birth
7 Aug 1791 Ashfield cum Thorpe, Suffolk, England" Not validated. She looks to have married an Abraham Read..

England & Wales Marriages, 1538-1988
Amy Mortimer
Date: 2 Jan 1815
Marriage Place: Suffolk
Spouse: Abraham Read

Geoff

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DaveHam9 Births 3
R Marriages 4